Scala Developer - London, Ropemaker Place, IHS Markit
Financial Risk Analytics (FRA) in IHS Markit designs and builds highly scalable Credit and Market Risk Analytics software. The aggregation stack is built atop a "Big Data" stack using Apache Spark as the distribution and computational framework and the successful candidate will be working in a fast paced, dynamic team environment, building commercial products which are at the heart of the business. Overview:
Education and expertise:
- Design and implement "Big Data" infrastructure for batch and real-time analytics.
- Highly Skilled in Big Data technologies such as Apache Spark, Apache HBase and Apache Kafka.
- Interpret and analyse business use-cases and feature requests into technical designs and development tasks.
- Contribute to the support and improvement of the team's Development Operations
- Ensure highly interactive response times. Avoid allowing performance bottlenecks to creep into the system.
- Be an active player in system architecture and design discussions.
- Take ownership of development tasks, participate in regular design and code review meetings.
- Be proud of the high quality of your own work.
- Always follow quality standards (unit tests, integration tests and documented code).
- Be delivery focused, have a passion for technology and will enjoy offering new ideas and approaches.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to build production software in Scala
- Distributed file systems/databases/systems
- Be able to demonstrate commercial experience on big data/advanced analytics projects
- Linux/Unix, Git
- Functional Programming
- Knowledge of data structures and computational complexity
- Some experience with scripting languages and basic Python
- Agile and XP (Scrum, Kanban, TDD)
- Experience of building or improving CI/CD pipelines
- Ansible, Docker
- YARN, Spark, SOLR, Cassandra
- AWS: EMR, S3, EC2, ECS/ELB
- Apache Zeppelin, React
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.