Scala Developer - Optimus Core - Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Oct 18
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley Enterprise Application Infrastructure (EAI) is a technology group that develops reusable solutions, libraries and frameworks used in systems throughout the Firm. We also provide technical expertise in all aspects of computing in the form of consultation and design advice to development teams. This means that the team requires developers with strong technical skills and the experience to understand the implications of their design decisions and good understanding of current best practices in application architecture, software design and code development. Specific business knowledge is less important as we work with many different application groups.
The project within EAI is to develop a new, cutting edge Scala platform for applications across all areas of the firm. It covers a number of technologies including object stores, bitemporal data representation, highly distributed compute graph processing, embedded query languages and reactive UIs. We currently have roles available within the Core Graph team which is responsible for the highly concurrent compute engine and associated Scala compiler plugins and macros. The main development language is Scala but we will consider highly skilled technologists proficient in either C++, Java, Scala or .Net who are excited to work with Scala moving forward.
• You should be a technically proficient and enthusiastic developer, with a desire to work on the full stack in order to help engineer new and existing components.
• You will support and lead different phases of the product lifecycle including analysis, development and testing.
• You will develop new and existing components in Scala in a team working across multiple time zones
• You will collaborate closely with very experienced developers and have the opportunity to learn and grow in this role
• Your role will involve regular interaction with other developers across many development teams in the organisation.
• You will be expected to collaboration with members from the wider global team.
• Experience using a real time market data system
• Prior experience with C++, Python and/or Linux
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Good understanding of core computer science concepts.
• Understand of testing and documentation is integral to delivering high quality solutions.
• Naturally very technical and curious. Successful candidates will dig beneath the surface to understand how things work, why they are a certain way and what the design trade-offs were.
• Take initiative to propose ideas and air concerns, to take technical ownership to drive the areas they work on.
The salary of this role is competitive.
The closing date for applications is 01/11/2018
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.