Secured Funding Controller, Senior Manager
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
ISG Finance is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial reporting for the Firm, which includes preparing external financial reports for public filings & regulators, whilst working internally on Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA). This includes summarising, planning and forecasting the organisation's financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings.
The Business Resource Management (BRM) Controller Team is part of the Global Funding Control (GFC) organization in London and Glasgow. GFC manages the Firm's risk by implementing financial controls over its business activities. The team performs a financial control function over P&L and Balance Sheet generated daily by the Secured and Derivatives Funding trading desks. The team works closely with Business Unit, Operations and Finance counterparts globally to ensure that the P&L and Balance Sheet produced is a true reflection of the day’s trading activity. Every month end the team is responsible for validating the integrity of net revenue and balance sheet general ledger account balances. The team faces off with US, European and Asia businesses.
- Ownership of Securities Lending and Repo PnL businesses financial reporting and controls, including but not limited to;
- Daily PnL review and socialisation to Finance Management, BRM BU and LEC?s.
- Analytical review of new booking models and bespoke funding arrangements.
- Responsibility for the computation of the FID Financing MCR.
- Month End PnL and BS coordination.
- Support wider team with investigations and initiatives.
- Production of the entity specific Interest Analysis reporting.
- Key contributor to multiple securities financing initiatives. Examples include extensive involvement in FCA (Financing Cost Attribution) improvements, NPA workstreams and Brexit implementation.
- Interfacing directly with the BRM BU to optimise funding costs across the firm.
- Liaising with multiple senior stakeholders across Sales and Trading and FCG to understand and improve the granularity of their BRM allocations.
- Building out reporting to identify Securities Financing over/under recovery to identify disconnects between external street costs and internal recovery versus Sales and Trading.
- Daily contact and liaison with Finance, Operations and Business Unit counterparts globally.
- Understand and be in control of the key risks. Identify control gaps. Enhance the quality and increase the scalability of existing controls.
- Escalate appropriately risk issues as and when they arise.
- Develop a strong understanding of the businesses and understand the PnL and Balance Sheet drivers.
- Prepare reporting and commentaries for presentation to finance management and BRM BU.
- Candidates should have a specific interest in financial services.
- Product knowledge across a wide range of Equity and Fixed Income products is desirable.
- An Accountancy qualification is essential.
- Good communication and analytical skills are essential.
- Advanced Excel skills are desirable, intermediate essential.
- High level of guardianship - the candidate should be focused on guardianship and ensuring that exceptions are identified, resolved and escalated on a timely basis.
- High level of organisational skills - ability to manage time effectively is essential.
- Ability to manage own workload and carry out tasks with minimal manager guidance.
- Ability to quickly understand and pick up issues.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Securities funding knowledge is desirable.
The salary for this role is Competitive.
The closing date for applications is 24/04/2018.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.