Senior Analyst, Sustainable Investment
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- London Stock Exchange Group
- 25 May 19
Senior Analyst, Sustainable Investment
Career Stage- Senior Associate
FTSE Russell is a leading global provider of benchmarks, analytics, and data solutions with multi-asset capabilities. Approximately $16 trillion is currently benchmarked to FTSE Russell indexes. For over 30 years, leading asset owners, asset managers, ETF providers, and investment banks have chosen FTSE Russell indexes to benchmark their investment performance and create investment funds, ETFs, structured products and index-based derivatives. FTSE Russell indexes also provide clients with tools for asset allocation, investment strategy analysis and risk management. It competes on a global scale with investment banks, fund managers, exchanges, data vendors and the media. Its major competitors are MSCI, and S&P Dow Jones. FTSE Limited is incorporated in the UK and is owned by The London Stock Exchange Group.
The Business Need
FTSE Russell has been a leader in Sustainable Investment (SI) since the launch of the FTSE4Good Index Series in 2001 and is a founding signatory of the UN Principles for Responsible Investment. Its pioneering suite of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) data & index products support asset owners and managers in investing in the transition to a more sustainable global economy. FTSE Russell is looking for a Senior Analyst to join its SI team in London to develop its ESG and other SI data methodologies, with a focus on measuring environmental performance of companies, including analysis of their carbon emissions.
Key Functions and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Head of Innovation and Standards, Sustainable Investment, t he individual will develop methodologies for cutting-edge ESG metrics and deliver high-profile reports to guide investors across asset classes. The role requires managing concurrent research projects to demanding deadlines and involves regular interaction with external parties, including FTSE Russell's global client base, various project partners, and other stakeholders across the sustainable investment space.
IP & Methodology Development
- Analysing complex data and conceptual problems to develop market-leading methodologies for defining and measuring environmental performance. Demonstrable experience of modelling carbon emissions is an asset.
- Delivering incisive research & analysis around the low carbon transition and other key ESG trends across multiple asset classes, industries and regions.
- Collaborating in multi-stakeholder research projects on carbon and environmental performance, providing analytical support for clients and internal stakeholders.
Market & stakeholder engagement
- Ability to deliver high calibre presentations and written reports tailored to multiple audiences at relevant market events.
- Support to high-level independent stakeholder committees overseeing FTSE Russell's Sustainable Investment data.
- Effective engagement with companies regarding ESG (this can include dialogue and board/senior management presentations).
- Seeking input and coordinating policy engagement with clients, NGOs, business associations, governments, academics and other subject matter experts.
The successful applicant will have a deeply analytical mind, with an acute eye for detail while at the same time being a confident communicator and effective project manager. It is expected that with limited supervision the candidate will be able to deliver all key aspects of the role identified above. The candidate will bring along relevant work experience in sustainability and/or financial services, preferably within sustainable/ESG investing. Familiarity with the Sustainable Investment landscape in London or other financial centers is highly desirable.
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline ( e.g. science, maths, or business)
- MBA, MSc or CFA are an asset.
- Demonstrable work experience (ideally in sustainability research, ESG/SI, financial services or in an analytical environment).
- A keen understanding of the low carbon transition/sustainable investment and detailed knowledge on how companies manage and report on ESG issues.
- Project management experience, organizational and time management skills.
- Very strong analytical skills, as a minimum expert use of Excel, and other standard Microsoft applications. Experience with other data analysis tools is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are essential and experience in communicating with senior executives is desirable.
- Language skills are an asset.
Type of Person
This needs to be someone who can juggle a large variety of different projects and be able to prioritise and schedule them effectively. They should be;
- Highly motivated, organised and disciplined in managing work flows.
- Ability to function well in a diverse multinational team.
- Proactive in identifying and managing challenges as they arise.
- Able to grasp new concepts quickly and incisively; to analyse and present data/evaluative comment in a structured and consistent manner.
- Someone who enjoys communicating externally and producing high quality written reports.
- A self motivated and enthusiastic individual with excellent attention to detail.
- Able to adapt to new challenges in a positive manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: able to work within a team, with managers and staff throughout FTSE, as well as at executive and director level with companies.
People are at the heart of what we do and drive the success of our business. Our colleagues thrive personally and professionally through our shared values of Integrity, Partnership, Innovation and Excellence are at the core of our culture. We embrace diversity and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. We are always looking at ways to become more agile so we meet the needs of our teams and customers. We believe that an inclusive collaborative workplace is pivotal to our success and supports the potential and growth of all colleagues at LSEG.
A career with London Stock Exchange Group offers you the opportunity to be at the centre of the financial community. As well as competitive salaries and a range of attractive benefits, we maximise each employee's potential through personal development plans, training, coaching and mentoring.
Please take a moment to read this privacy notice carefully, as it describes what personal information the London Stock Exchange Group ("We") may hold about you, what it's used for, and how it's obtained. If you would like this information to be removed from the London Stock Exchange Group HR database, please contact email@example.com . If you choose to have your information removed, you will be removed as a candidate and we will not be able to progress your application for opportunities at the London Stock Exchange Group.