This role will focus on monitoring and selection of external public market long only mandates, across asset classes, with a primary focus on fixed income allocations within the DC and DB Schemes.
- Analyse and review existing mandates to ensure ongoing fitness for purpose and produce regular monitoring reports
- Source high quality external managers to cost-effectively implement scheme’s desired beta and alpha solutions
- Work with asset class heads to ensure diversification of alpha and maximise risk-reward of external manager programme
- Develop and refine close peer groups for all external mandates and identify back up managers.
- Recommend improvements, as necessary, to the research process
- Conduct thorough mandate search and produce initial long and short lists of managers, sometimes working with external consultants.
- Conduct thorough investment qualitative and quantitative due diligence (DD) on prospective managers, including effective operational pre-screening
- Ensure that all DD reports and supporting materials are appropriately filed on a timely basis
- Contribute to improvements in the DD process
- Marshall managers through the DD process in liaison with ODD, legal, PAIR, Compliance, RI, and operations
- Work closely with legal on negotiating IMA and side letters with managers
- Own most aspects of manager on-boarding and mandate implementation
- Establish, deepen and strengthen relationships with external managers to maximize value-added
- Develop relationships with asset class heads to understand their strategies and how to help implement them
- Work closely with other functions within the Investment Product Management (IPM) team.
- University degree
- Experience researching and selecting managers across multiple asset classes with a focus on credit
- Clear-headed analysis of the investment merits and risks of a manager and strategy
- Strong balance of quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Highly numerate and computer literate
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Hard-working team player
- Sound judgement & commercial awareness
- Performance orientated and results-driven
- Able to drive an investment through from proposal to due diligence, onboarding and monitoring.
- Experience onboarding segregated mandates or bespoke Fund of Ones at another institutional investment firm
- Preferably CFA