Senior Compliance Officer
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- BNP Paribas Asset Management UK Limited
- 17 Sep 18 2018-09-17
BNP Paribas Asset Management is the investment management arm of BNP Paribas, one of the world’s major financial institutions. Managing and advising EUR 580 billion in assets as at 31 March 2017, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers a comprehensive range of active, passive and quantitative investment solutions covering a broad spectrum of asset classes and regions. With close to 700 investment professionals and 600 client servicing specialists, BNP Paribas Asset Management serves individual, corporate and institutional investors in 75 countries around the world. Since 2002, BNP Paribas Asset Management has been a major player in sustainable and responsible investing.
ROLE DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE
Reporting to the UK Head of Compliance of BNP Paribas Asset Management UK Ltd (“BNPPAM UK”) and FundQuest Advisor, London Branch, the Senior Compliance Officer will ensure compliance oversight of the UK business activities from a regulatory perspective.
The incumbent will ensure that the conduct of the asset management activities be undertaken in a controlled and compliant manner with all applicable laws and regulations.
The Senior Compliance Officer will be responsible for the provision of regulatory advice to the key stakeholders of the institution but will also be responsible for implementing effective measures of controls to mitigate regulatory risks.
The Senior Compliance Manager will deputise the Head of Compliance, UK on various matters ranging from regulatory compliance to conduct risk issues as well as attendance to certain governance committees.
The incumbent will also represent the Head of Compliance UK in its dealing with senior management and domestic/foreign regulators. The Senior Compliance Officer will be in charge of supervising the work produced by the compliance team. It is expected that the responsibilities and the execution of the compliance work be distributed evenly among the team members while focusing on every team member’s area of expertise. The incumbent will assist the Head of Compliance UK in ensuring the quality of the various deliverables.
The Senior Compliance Officer will be expected to maintain close working relationships with management together with being a trusted advisory to the business while keeping an up-to-date knowledge of asset management products.
General Advisory Compliance:
- Product Governance: provide compliance advice on current and new products and services as well technologies in conjunction with applicable FCA and EU regulation;
- Regulatory support: In conjunction with senior management and other functions, provide regulatory guidance to the front office to allow the execution of business;
- Regulatory Updates: Deal with internal/external contacts including compliance peers, trade/industry associations and regulatory bodies; and provide daily and fortnightly regulatory updates to designated staff;
- Governance: may participate in various industry sub-committees or firm’s committees to represent the Head of Compliance;
- Systems and Controls: Provide subject matter expert guidance to the team and the business lines on the expectation of an effective control environment;
- Relationship management: Maintain successful relationships with internal and external clients;
- Risk Mitigation: Provision of compliance and risk advice particularly in relation to new business initiatives in an agile manner;
- Subject Matter Expert: Acting as the compliance point of contact for certain asset management businesses as well as ‘Subject Matter Expert’ on areas of the regulations as determined by the Head of Compliance. The role requires a detailed knowledge of fund regulation;
- Regulatory and firm’s Projects: Actively participate in the firm-wide initiatives and proactively support compliance projects;
- Management Information: Production and maintenance of management information (“MI”) reports to the Head of Compliance and to the CEO Office.
Investment Compliance Advisory:
- Monitoring: Daily monitoring of client, regulatory and internal restrictions in globally managed portfolios. Interacting with Account and Portfolio Management as well as the Legal department on regulatory and guideline questions, providing timely identification, escalation and resolution of compliance issues (i.e. short selling);
- Investment and regulatory guidelines: With the support of the centralised unit of Conduct of Business Compliance, review, analyse, qualify and comment on investment and regulatory guidelines as and when internal teams seek clarifications. Review an comment the monthly COBS report;
- Research: Research regulatory topics and respond to internal/external queries which relate to investment compliance;
- Investment Research: liaise with the central team on the arrangements put in place around investment research. Be the first point of contact for all queries coming from the front office on such topic;
- Investigation: Investigate investment queries with a view to provide impartial analysis and communicate reportable instances to the Head of Compliance and senior management;
- Front Office Systems and Processes: Being involved in projects which aim to enhance the front office processes and systems;
- Front Office Testing: Lead the testing of all front office systems and controls, at least on a yearly basis, to ensure effectiveness;
- Advice and Support: Assisting portfolio managers to better understand specific investment & regulatory constraints in a timely manner;
- Compliance Monitoring Systems: be the subject matter expert of industry recognised compliance monitoring system i.e. Bloomberg, Aladdin, Sentinel, Thinkfolio, etc.
- FCA Handbook: Adequate knowledge of FCA prudential categories, ICAAPs etc. in addition to the BIPRU rules;
- Prudential Compliance Update: Assist the Head of Compliance with identifying the impact of prudential regulatory change and supporting the adaptation of the firm to the new challenges the new regulatory landscape presents;
- Regulatory Reporting: Under the supervision of the Head of Compliance, take responsibility for the conduct of reviews and preparation of reports; making oral presentations of findings/recommendations to the business and management team(s);
- Technical Research: Under the supervision of the Head of Compliance, conduct technical research as well as summarising key actions points stemming from regulatory papers in connection with the development and application of prudential regulation.
Policies and Procedures:
- Review and Update policies and procedures on a yearly basis;
- Coordinate the drafting and review of certain compliance processes on a yearly basis;
- Translate global compliance policies into local procedures;
- Assisting the Head of Compliance in facilitating the conduct of inspection visits by regulators, clients, auditors etc.;
- Will be expected to assist other members of the team in areas of expertise and disseminate knowledge.
KEY INTERNAL / EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
ROLE REQUIREMENTS ESSENTIAL SKILLS/COMPETENCIES (TECHNICAL / BEHAVIOURAL / LEADERSHIP)
- Good and up-to-date regulatory knowledge covering:
- Regulatory Compliance: COBS, COLL, CASS, SYSC, APER, SUP, PERG, BIPRU;
- The current European and Luxembourg Asset Management regulatory framework.
- Good and up-to-date products knowledge and asset classes covering:
- OEICs and SICAV fund structures;
- Derivatives, financial derivatives would be an advantage.
- Good and up-to-date knowledge of the UK/EU Regulatory landscape:
- Senior Managers and Certification Regime;
- MiFID II; GDPR.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Very good knowledge of the SYSC and COBS Sourcebooks;
- Degree educated;
- Professional qualification(s) desirable;
- Industry qualifications are an advantage (i.e. UK Financial Regulation; I.M.C etc.);
- A minimum of 7 years of compliance experience including a detailed knowledge of the FCA handbook and the institutional investment management practice;
- A good understanding of the legal and risk functions;
- Very good drafting skills.
SPECIFIC OTHER ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- Team player;
- Can execute on deliverables (e.g. not just concepts design but also implementation);
- Good communication/relationship building skills;
- Works well in a pressurized environment and able to meet deadlines;
- Excellent attention to detail;
If you are interested in this opportunity and fill the requirements, please apply here submitting a copy of your CV.
Deadline for applications is 12 October 2018.