- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 11 Oct 17
Senior Credit Manager
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.
- To uphold the integrity of the Group's risk/return decisions, and in particular for ensuring that credit risks arising from Private Banking Clients for which the jobholder is responsible are properly assessed, that risk/return decisions are made transparently on the basis of this proper assessment, and are controlled in accordance with the Group's standards and its Risk Appetite/Tolerance
- To ensure the Risk Management Framework and applicable policies are effectively embedded, communicated and implemented across Private Banking Clients procedures and processes
- To exercise direct credit risk approval authority in the Private Banking Clients business
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure all proposals reviewed and approved are in accordance with properly approved business strategy plans and risk appetite.
- Contribute to the development of local performance management and remuneration processes, in order to encourage the development of an appropriate risk culture and discipline
- Be fully conversant with the strategic intent and collective agenda for the Function and understand how the jobholder contributes to these 
- Within the role's operating processes, ensure effective management of the operational risks and compliance with applicable internal policies and external laws and regulations
- Continuously seek to improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function's risk management processes by making thoughtful suggestions to senior management
- Uphold and reinforce the independence of the role from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
- Contribute to and support your team in promoting an appropriate culture and values within the function and across the wider local organisation
- Assess the credit risk profile of the Private Banking Clients portfolios within the defined responsibility, maintaining alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors
- Contribute to stress tests as required by internal and external factors and review results
- Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite
- Exercise risk control responsibility for Credit Risk, Private Banking Clients for your location.
- Ensure all decisions taken within delegated authority are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations
- Ensure that material risk exposures, material risk events and related issues are escalated to the Head of Credit
- Ensure appropriate judgement is applied in the discharge of risk authorities assigned to the jobholder, taking account of concentration risk across sectors, geographies and markets.
- Assist the Head of Credit in effectively communicating risk control parameters across the Business, including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain the risk profile in line with the Group's risk appetite
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures
- Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators
- Actively participate in risk committees including: Early Alert, operational risk etc.
Qualifications and Skills
Market Knowledge: Suitable experience at a reasonably high level in the private banking industry, including demonstrated success in a similar role. Knowledge of UK real estate market.
Business Strategy and Model: Reasonable experience with investment products and leverage strategies (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
Risk Management and Control: Demonstrated track record in managing risk in geographically dispersed and highly varied product base. Must have held previous risk approval authority in a previous role.
Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
Non-technical Skills: Suitable relationship management experience - with external stakeholders, including regulators and rating agencies.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.