Senior Employment Lawyer - Triton Square
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 13 Aug 18 2018-08-13
Turn big plans for your career into action
We have an opportunity for a Senior Employment Lawyer to join our team in London.
As the Senior Employment Lawyer your focus will be on strategic and operational legal risks that have significant reputational consequence for Santander through its brand, employees and culture. You will act as the principle contact for these issues and provide a high quality, cost effective legal service whilst continuously seeking to improve personal competencies and appropriate processes, practices and policies.
The job holder will be accountable in respect of employment issues for items such as high quality, seamless and pragmatic legal advice to the business and senior stakeholders, management of employment matters, advising/leading on reporting to relevant regulators and government agencies, influencing policymakers, managing external lawyers, managing costs, timescales, quality and senior stakeholder management in relation to critical business processes and projects, and oversight and delivery of effective training and advice on best practice.
We're passionate about helping people and businesses prosper and we strive to be simple, personal and fair in everything we do. That's why we've built a culture of respect, where everyone is empowered to keep their promises and go above-and-beyond for our customers, colleagues and the communities we serve.
As a Senior Employment Lawyer your main responsibilities will be to
- Understand and addresses root causes of business problems in order to reduce legal and reputational risk from such issues, drawing appropriate learnings to prevent their recurrence
- Identify and anticipate key regulation that has application to business activities in particular where impacts will fall on Santander UK's reputation and people
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation in reaching solutions through challenging the status quo and "thinking outside the box"
- Proactively take responsibility to identify, assess, manage and report legal risk issues
- Keep abreast of external developments in the law and elsewhere of relevance to Santander to enable the company to react appropriately and in line with best practice
- Liaise with appropriate business areas to ensure that high value, strategic, operational and contentious matters (whether regulatory or non-regulatory) are appropriately supported within Division and best practices shared with wider teams
Minimum skills and experience required
- A Solicitors Practising Certificate for England and Wales must be held; or be fully admitted to the English Bar or hold a Scottish or foreign jurisdiction equivalent or commercial qualification
- Working knowledge of all aspects of regulated banking together with a thorough understanding of the banking business, its drivers, challenges and market practices
- Whilst a focus on Employment (including Pensions, Employee Benefits and Immigration) there is a need for understanding multiple areas of the law, including Business Ethics, Competition, Fraud, Anti-bribery & Corruption, Data Protection and e-commerce
- Possess strong influencing skills - able to advise the business on the best approaches, helping them to understand the constraints/risks and assisting the business in developing solutions
- Experience of developing and maintaining effective relationships with Executive and Senior Managers within and outside of Legal Services
Salary is competitive
For your commitment and success, Santander offers a competitive basic salary with a distinct career development opportunity. In addition to your salary and bonus, we offer you a benefits package that's flexible and allows you to be in control, as well as all the policies, tools and guidance to support you.
Other Santander benefits include:
- Pension with generous contributions from Santander
- 30 days' holiday plus bank holidays, with the option to purchase up to 5 contractual days per year
- £6,000 car allowance per year
- Company funded Individual Private medical Insurance
- Voluntary healthcare benefits at discounted rates such as private Medical insurance for your family, Dental insurance, Healthcare Cash Plan and Health assessments
- 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform. Save money on everything from groceries, electronics, fashion, holidays and much more
- Benefits supporting you and your family, such as Childcare vouchers, voluntary Life assurance and Critical illness cover
- Access to an All Employee car scheme
- Excellent employee recognition schemes, be recognised for demonstrating great behaviours
- Share in Santander's success by investing in our Sharesave and Partnership shares plans
We'll give you more than a job, we'll give you a purpose - to help people and businesses prosper.
We've created an environment where we always put people first, that's why we offer flexible work options to help you do your job in a way that suits you. Whatever your unique ambitions, you'll have plenty of room to grow, with tailored training and development opportunities and a wide range of benefits designed to suit your lifestyle. What's more, we'll also support you in making a difference through our volunteering and fundraising schemes. Our commitment to our people hasn't gone unnoticed and we've been listed as one of Britain's Top Employers by the Top Employers Institute since 2012.
Time to apply
If this sounds like a role you're interested in then please apply on the link below.