Senior Gas Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 19 Jun 18 2018-06-19
Senior Gas Analyst
Senior Gas Analyst
Location: London, Canary Wharf
The Role: Platts Analytics is looking for a senior analyst to drive forward its European gas fundamental and price forecasting and analysis services delivered under their market-leading product line. This exciting role will be pivotal in producing price forecasts, writing market commentary and developing analytical tools, research and models that underpin our market-leading gas services. The role will make use of your detailed knowledge of European and global gas markets and will leverage your strong quantitative and modelling skills. In time, the role could provide line management opportunities.
The Impact: Platts Analytics is a global team responsible for analyzing, interpreting and forecasting global gas, power and coal market fundamentals and prices. Our customers represent a wide range of activities across the energy industry and, as a result, our analysis is reviewed and challenged from many different perspectives. You will play a key role in supporting Platts Analytics' highly rated services and could also play a role in developing these services into major new growth areas.
The Career Opportunity: This is a role with significant potential for development within a short timeframe. You will be a key input into Platts Analytics' European gas analysis service under and also its development in the coming months and years as a part of an integrated, cross commodity global analysis offering. In addition there will be ample opportunity to contribute to an emerging buglobal brand and to take part in customer-facing activities, including webinars and conference presentations.
The Team / The Business: You will be part of the European Gas and Power Analytics team which comprises international specialists with outstanding knowledge of European and global gas, power and coal markets.
Be an expert
- Study all factors that contribute context to the current and future value of natural gas in European markets, and their interaction with global gas markets
- Spot trends, identify emerging trends early and, where possible, anticipate market movements
- Have and build on own understanding of natural gas trading, modeling and forecasting
- Constantly update own knowledge of evolving markets, including price movements, trade-flows, trading behavior and regulatory developments that impact on the gas markets
- Harness existing data sets, identify new, valuable data sets for collection and analysis and conduct rigorous reviews of the quality of that information
- Research, collect, organize, standardize, process, and analyze gas market data
- Develop and rigorously adhere to independent, transparent methodology for all analytical processes
- Demonstrate a dynamic approach to learning and a passion for the natural gas industry and Platts Analytics' leading place in it
- Coaching and mentoring: Work towards becoming an expert and the go-to person in gas analysis
- Engage with customers, market experts and potential customers, demonstrating expertise and acting as ambassador for Platts' pursuit of analytical excellence. Travel is likely to be required
- Communicate expertise through the creation of compelling, "must-have" content that leverages all the knowledge listed above and helps Platts' core readership make better-informed trading, risk management and investment decisions
- Deliver succinct, high-quality and accurate written content that demonstrates the expertise outlined above
- Create charts, graphs and other visually valuable content that illustrates the trends Platts' customers need to follow
- Articulate expertise and thought-leadership through a variety of media including but not limited to podcasts, webinars, video, TV, conference and forum speaking engagements
- Carry out internal and external training and education, explaining the dominant trends in the natural gas markets, the analytical processes employed to arrive at a particular decision and the systems in use to carry them out
- Build internal relationships at Platts that will help generate ideas for the integration of pricing content with fundamental data to offer greater value to customers. Take action when opportunities arise for collaboration that will provide a better experience to users of Platts' information services
- Use competitive intelligence to stay ahead and innovate
- Be commercially astute through listening to customers' needs and being able to identify viable opportunities for revenue generation
- Work with Platts technology teams to develop robust databases, products and tools that could become embedded in our customers' work-flows and processes
- Utilise industry knowledge and soft skills to coach and mentor other analysts with potential line management opportunities
- Challenge processes and status quo, be prepared to place own footprint on organisation and lead product development
- Independently identify commercial opportunities to enhance product offering and drive execution
- Exhibit best practice behaviors in all business activities to uphold ethical and business standards to build on and maintain high levels of staff engagement
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven experience in natural gas markets. Additional experience in other markets, e.g. power, coal and oil as well as knowledge of developing markets (i.e. Central and Eastern Europe or Turkey) would be advantageous
- Knowledge of key Financial metrics/concepts (NPV, IRR) or Technical Analysis experience encouraged
- Ability to tackle problems and take independent action. Ability to seek out new assignments and act on opportunities. Track record for delivering against demanding targets and deliverables. Comfortable with high levels of responsibility and accountability
- Exhibits a natural curiosity for the energy industry and has a problem-solving/solutions-oriented attitude
- Excellent communication skills which include ability to listen; concise written style; and good verbal skills. Has the ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally
- Willingness and ability to anticipate and respond to customer needs and market changes to leverage the business capabilities to continually position Platts as the go-to provider. Ability to provide insightful analysis to the market in compelling and straightforward content adding value to our products
- Leads by example to create a positive and collaborative work environment. Strong relationship building skills and ability to influence others within the organization to gain buy-in and drive initiatives to completion
- Proficient in identifying, gathering, and analyzing information to solve problems effectively. Ability to recognize trends and provide recommendations and develop logical conclusions. Knowledge of mathematical, statistical and modelling concepts and research methods would be beneficial
- Shows a desire to do the right thing for the team, segment and business. Demonstrates personal integrity and an openness to continually learn and develop
- Familiarity with latest content delivery methods, such as web-based platforms, would be helpful. Ability to shape/influence/test the development of new system applications and knowledge of relational databases is also an asset
- Ability to build and maintain best-practice procedures and documentation of models and processes
- Promoting a positive and team oriented work environment. Take pride in a job well done, learn from mistakes and celebrate successes
- Comfortable with and aptitude for public speaking
- Strong Excel skills are required. Experience with SQL, Tableau, Matlab, VBA, SAS, or cube data structure would be useful but not essential
- Verbal and written fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of other languages seen favourably but not required.
About Platts and S&P Global
Platts is a premier source of benchmark price assessments and commodities intelligence. At Platts, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Learn more at https://www.platts.com/
S&P Global includes Ratings, Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and Platts. Together, we're the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email email@example.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.