Senior Investment Manager
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- RPMI Railpen
- 20 Sep 18 2018-09-20
The Railways Pension Scheme is one of the UK's largest and longest established pension funds. RPMI Railpen (Railpen) is responsible for the safekeeping and investment of around £28bn of assets on behalf of the scheme's 350,000 members who are connected with the railway industry. The scheme is the seventh largest pension scheme in the UK by assets under management (as of 2016). The Private markets function focuses on the research, selection and management of investment strategies/assets within private and less liquid public markets.
As Senior Investment Manager, the successful candidate will work as part of the c£4bn private markets function. The private markets function is responsible for investing through a variety of investment models including via funds, via co-investments, via platforms and directly, across a wide range of private market strategies.
- Lead and direct quantitative and qualitative due diligence on prospective private market investments (primary, secondaries and co-investments) and monitor current investments (primary, secondaries and co-investments).
- Actively input in the development of investment content and output of private markets team including the strategic plans for Illiquid Growth Pooled Fund (IGPF). Ensure that this delivers against the strategy and objectives of the department.
- Prepare investment materials for presentation to Railpen’s decision-making bodies, including the Railpen Investments Board.
- Represent the private markets team at Railpen Investment Board and Trustee meetings, where relevant, making recommendations and taking decisions to these forums for approval as appropriate.
- Actively input in the design, production and maintenance of private markets investment models.
- Perform various tasks related to monitoring investments, market research and internal requests.
- Work collaboratively with other functions namely risk, compliance, operations, investment accounts, business assurance and legal departments as required.
- Represent Railpen/RPMI/RPTCL at industry forums or investment boards as required.
- Ensure that the private markets function’s approach is communicated clearly to targeted audience of private market participants.
- Provide specialist knowledge and expertise to perform own function effectively. This requires the ability to demonstrate a sound understanding of material across a range of departments outside own area of expertise.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the role and how it aligns with other teams in terms of impacts and dependencies.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across the investment business and RPMI to ensure the delivery of the organisation’s strategic and operational objectives.
- Lead/actively contribute to significant project work in evolving the private markets approach.
- Support project work in other functions as required.
- Broad knowledge of multiple private markets asset classes.
- 10 years+ experience working within an investment management/ consultancy/ private equity firm organization in a front office role.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Credible valuation and modelling skills preferred.
- Genuine interest and enthusiasm for investments and markets.
- Confident in building relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Organisational skills including project work.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines.
- Proven track record in report writing and presentation skills.
- The ability to communicate complex work to a wider audience through effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Undergraduate degree
- Master’s degree or professional qualification (ACA, CFA, CAIA etc.) preferred
If you are interested in this opportunity and fill the requirements, please apply here submitting a copy of your CV.
Deadline for applications is 10 October 2018.