Senior Legal Entity Controller
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BGC Partners
- 20 Nov 17 2017-11-20
BGC Partners is looking for a Senior Legal Entity Controller. The LEC team provides all financial reporting activities for 26 legal entities across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.This includes statutory, Sarbanes Oxley and all other financial reporting. Liaising with Group reporting in the USA, and other functional departments (Tax, Treasury, Product Control, Operations and Legal) both locally and globally. The aim is to ensure that the individual can make an important contribution to the continued development of the Legal Entity Control team, the Finance function in all non-US locations, raising the bar in terms of quality, control and consistency.
Key Responsibilities :
- Understand fully the entities and the underlying business for all responsible entities.
- To be able to report monthly / quarterly on the results of their responsible entities and ensure that deadlines are met on time with accurate information.
- To produce statutory accounts for the required entities under their responsibilities and to deal with the auditors and ensure timely delivery of information, responses and ensure timely sign off of the audited accounts.
- Understand the FX exposure that is contained within the entities and help in the global management of the FX position across the Group.
- Understand, provide guidance and review intercompany recharges, allocations and transfer pricing processes between service entities and trading entities in the UK as well as recharges between different geographies.
- Ensure all reconciliations are prepared and reviewed. Carry out overview review and report any concerns to management.
- Review inter-company break report each day and discuss resolution of issues with opposite, inter-company relationship controller.
- To be alert to Conduct Risk issues, specifically the risk of harm to client interests, market integrity and/or competition in financial markets due to inappropriate practices or behaviours across the firm.
- Review un-posted journals report each day for entries affecting their entities and ensure quick resolution of issues and postings made as appropriate.
- Review control account / suspense / wash account / daily summary and ensure resolution of any breaks pre-month end as appropriate.
- Review cash break report each day and help facilitate / clear breaks for responsible entities.
- Drive forward and co-ordinate the process of liquidating and dissolving redundant entities as well as restorations where appropriate.
- Monitor the regulatory impact of intercompany balances, settlements and control breaks. To assist the regulatory and Financial Control teams where necessary to ensure that they are managed appropriately.
- To assist the Legal Entity Control Manager in continuing to maintain, develop and improve the control environment within the team and to ensure the team delivers all goals by working well with others and having a can do and will do attitude.
- Provide ad hoc reporting to Senior Management.
Skils / Competencies required :
The ideal candidate is a qualified accountant, ideally with several years post qualification experience in financial services (in a broking or trading organisation) and should be able to demonstrate:
- Prior experience in a legal entity control position.
- A strong academic background and good career progression to date.
- A control mentality coupled with excellent accounting, analytical and reporting skills.
- Exposure to complex reporting issues for group structures, preferably with demonstrable knowledge of acquisition accounting, goodwill impairment assessments and minority interest accounting.
- Possess a pro-active attitude with an ability to take responsibility, make decisions and gain respect quickly.
- Process analysis skills to identify vulnerabilities and control weaknesses.
- Understanding of UK GAAP, US GAAP and IFRS as well as the principles of UK regulatory reporting.
- Ability to evaluate issues and situations and make decisions with little need for upward reference.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with professionals throughout the organisation.
- Maturity and credibility to deal with brokers, senior management and colleagues at all levels and locations.
- Flexibility and a willingness to contribute to an exciting, dynamic and multi-cultural business.
Systems used :
- Oracle Financials
- Hyperion Essbase
- Exemplary MS Excel
- MS Word and Powerpoint
- Adobe Acrobat
- Caseware financial statements preparation software
- Highly motivated, self starter unafraid to ask questions and seek answers.
- Willing to take ownership, work without close supervision, while also being a team player.
- Able to use judgement to implement changes to improve processes.
- A good organiser with the ability to multi-task.
- Proactive and adaptable, able to work well under pressure.