Senior Manager, Balance Sheet Controls - Country Financial Reporting
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
The role is part of the UK Finance department which is responsible for the completeness and accuracy of all UK financial and management reporting in the region including supporting the various business heads, the Regional CEO and support functions and business teams across our Global footprint. Our presence in Europe is key to connecting our footprint markets of Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Ensuring an effective system of internal financial controls are in place to substantiate the UK balance sheet.
- Applying Group accounting policies, standards, procedures and internal control practices across the main UK entity
- Implementing improvements required to the existing control environment and building the framework to manage and monitor substantiation issues going forward.
Based in London, reporting to The Head of Financial Reporting, UK Business, the role includes the following: Relationship Management
- Establish partnership relationship across the SCB network.
- Coordinate with all relevant business partners, i.e. GFS, Product Control and Operations on key processes/activities
- Liaison with operational risk and the Group Financial Control Unit (GFCU) to ensure Finance's 2nd line of responsibilities are fulfilled effectively
- Participate in country and business projects when required.
- Display role model behaviours and build credibility through demonstration of SCB's values; courageous, responsive, international, creative and trustworthy.
Operational Controls Management
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ensure necessary financial processes and controls are in place to ensure all the UK balance sheet is substantiated.
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices, Group Accounting Manual and the Group Financial Control Policy and other related guidelines.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a standardised financial controls structure in the UK.
- Challenging current practices and procedures and developing and implementing effective changes.
- Thorough review for the reports/analysis prepared by control teams within other departments to ensure completeness of the UK finance 2nd line responsibility
- Degree level education or equivalent
- Qualified accountant, with practical knowledge of IFRSs and its implications on reporting
- Post qualification experience in finance within the banking or financial services industry
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to manage stakeholders at different levels within the organisation
- A self-starter and creative thinker with the ability to work on their own initiative
- Good data analysis skills with the ability of working with large volume of data and being able to extract the material / important trends from another teams MI
- Experience within banking operations or product control is desirable but not essential
- Prior experience with an operational risk role is desirable but not essential
- Practical experience with transaction processing systems is desirable but not essential
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.