Senior Manager, Investment Compliance (EMEA)
- Competitive plus benefits
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- T. Rowe Price International
- 18 Feb 18 2018-02-18
Investment Compliance is a global function, based primarily in the U.S., responsible for ensuring compliance with regulatory, prospectus, client-directed, and internal investment and operational restrictions for every portfolio managed by T. Rowe Price. This position is a leadership role within Investment Compliance and provides oversight of the regional team in the London office as well as a Compliance Manager in the Luxembourg office.
The Senior Manager applies business, industry and technical subject matter expertise to effectively manage all aspects of the process investment compliance program in the EMEA region, including onboarding of new clients, coding of investment and operational restrictions, and pre- and post-trade compliance monitoring. The Senior Manager works independently to accomplish objectives and priorities set by the Head of Investment Compliance.
- Directly manages and provides leadership to Investment Compliance officers and managers in the London and Luxembourg offices (direct reports may also have an indirect reporting line to other managers in Baltimore).
- Manages the daily operations of the investment compliance function in the London office, including providing subject matter expertise and oversight of the new account take-on, rule coding and monitoring processes.
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding of all aspects of the investment compliance monitoring program, and ensures appropriate policies, procedures and internal controls are established and followed.
- Establishes clear objectives and expectations and holds associates accountable for individual and team performance.
- Collaborates with direct reports and indirect line managers to create individual development plans that meet organizational objectives and career development goals.
- Provides the necessary resources to continually increase business knowledge and compliance expertise.
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding of the firm’s investment strategies, global regulatory requirements, and investment compliance processes and systems.
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of UCITS regulations across various jurisdictions, i.e. Luxembourg, UK, Ireland, etc. and has extensive investment compliance experience with various UCITS products, including SICAVs, OEICs, etc.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and compliance system ‘power user’. Demonstrates extensive experience and proficiency in interpreting, coding and testing compliance rules, particularly with respect to complex investment strategies, fixed income securities and derivatives, including currency forwards, options, futures, and swaps.
Consultative Business Partner:
- Cultivates strong day-to-day working relationships with investment and trading personnel and other key business partners in the London office to positively influence their understanding of compliance and interaction with the Investment Compliance function.
- Monitors trends in the trading/compliance process and partners with other leaders to manage service gaps or inconsistencies, identify and negotiate new services, and develop solutions to address organizational needs.
- Develops and maintains a solid peer network across the firm to resolve issues quickly and to share knowledge and best practices.
- Identifies investment compliance risks and ensures they are well-managed and controlled.
- Stays current with industry and organizational changes, identifies and implements strategies to support changes in regulatory requirements and increases in growth and complexity.
- Proactively monitors key trends and identifies areas of increased risk. Collaborates with other key leaders across the organization to develop actions plans to address areas of risk.
- Anticipates issues based on extensive knowledge of the business and proposes and directs solutions and process improvements.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES / SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years related work experience, or Associate degree and 10 years related work experience or High School diploma/equivalent and 12 years related work experience
- 3-5 years of experience coding/building rules in the Charles River Investment Management System or comparable compliance system
- 5+ years of experience managing associates
- Advanced knowledge of programming investment compliance systems, preferably Charles River
- Prior investment compliance experience
- In-depth investment/securities knowledge, including derivatives
- Demonstration of leadership qualities and abilities
- Ability to develop, recommend and implement alternative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent judgement, ability to make critical, time-sensitive decisions
- Ability to develop both a tactical and a strategic approach to a problem/situation
- Strong customer service orientation; applies consultative approach when interacting with peers and customers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Self-motivated and self-reliant; must work well independently and take initiative with assigned responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. accounting, finance, or related field)
- 8+ years of work experience in investment compliance or related field
- Working knowledge of domestic and international securities law