Senior Mobile Engineer
As a global investment manager, we help institutions, intermediaries and individuals across the planet meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. But as the world changes, so do our clients' needs. That's why we have a long history of adapting to suit the times and keeping our focus on what matters most to our clients. Doing this takes experience and expertise. We bring together people and data to spot the trends that will shape the future. This provides a unique perspective which allows us to always invest with conviction.
We are responsible for £447.0 billion (€503.6 billion/$604.7 billion)* of assets for our clients who trust us to deliver sustainable returns. We remain determined to build future prosperity for them, and for all of society. Today, we have 4,600 people across six continents who focus on doing just this.
We are a global business that's managed locally. This allows us to always keep our clients' needs at the heart of everything we do. For over two centuries and more than seven generations we've grown and developed our expertise in tandem with our clients' needs and interests. Explore our interactive timeline to see how we've been shaping financial futures since our very beginnings. *as at 31 December 2017
Schroders Global Technology (GT) function is organized into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with technology hubs in London, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software engineering and technology change function is split between 4 domains: Investment, Portfolio Operations and Data; Distribution and Product; Corporate and; Digital. In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to provide Technology Infrastructure, Production Services, Quality Assurance, DevOps, Information Security and Business Management.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can leverage Agile to effectively deliver enhanced business benefits focused on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology will enable Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for our clients.
Specific to the Mobile Application Development Practice which resides under the Digital Domain the team focuses on delivering a mobile solution to internal and external customers.
Overview of role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative Mobile engineer to join the Mobile Application Development Practice at Schroders. The role requires a structured creative individual who can govern our growing demand for mobile app development on a global level. It is a senior development position; strong technical skills are desired as you are expected to build applications as well as liaise with agencies undertaking mobile development.
The role is responsible for contributing to all aspects of the analysis, design, development, building and testing of solutions within iterations. Each developer is responsible for leading software development and engineering tasks, they also significantly contribute to analysis and testing activities. They are responsible for managing their own work, estimating its complexity and size, determining technical design (within architectural guidelines) and contributing to the continuous improvement of their agile team. The team members rely heavily on collaboration and communication and must place great emphasis on Agile Values and Principles in order to achieve a sustainable high performing status.
Experience of working within a practice framework, experience of creating re-useable components as well as contributing to the center of excellence within the mobile practice.
• Advise the business and collaborate with the development teams on mobile best practice and position Schroders for future growth in mobile usage both internally and externally.
• Development of mobile applications for Android, and/or React Native.
• Work effectively with client-facing groups within Schroders with a collaborative approach to gather business requirements and translate those requirements into functional solutions.
• Working with our UX Design team to manage and maintain the creative design; 'look and feel' of our mobile products.
• Having a passion for keeping up to date with the latest industry trends in mobile technologies, demonstrating thought leadership and coaching to other team members.
• Experienced in articulating technical solutions to non-technical and business stakeholders is an advantage.
• Collaborating with IT infrastructure to create and maintain a robust framework to support apps.
• Responsible for development tasks, including design, build, test, which contribute to the delivery of working software required by the Product owners.
• Responsible for contributing to agile planning, including sizing stories, parsing user stories into tasks etc.
• Responsible for collaboration with business stakeholders and agile analysts to effectively deliver features and user stories into working software that is fit for purpose
• Working with colleagues from other agile teams and shared service teams to both communicate and accept dependencies
• Responsible for writing unit tests, build and deployment scripts to support Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
• Ensuring continued improvement through conducting regular retrospective reviews and executing high priority actions that emerge
General and Technical skills
• Excellent software design principles and patterns, designing code for readability and re-usability, scalability, and maintainability
• Understanding the entire application life cycle for Android - concept, design, build, deploy, test, release to app stores and ongoing support.
• At least one or more of Java, HTML5, CSS3 development skills.
• Ability to translate business requirements into functional specification, delivering a tested functioning solution
• Demonstrable background in stakeholder and relationship-management in order to successfully manage a broad, diverse network of relationships, both internal and external.
• Strong understanding and experience applying Agile principles
• Good DevOps experience including continuous integration and automated deployment. Knowledge of certain tooling is a plus; such as Team Foundation Server, Git, Fastlane, Confluence.
• Experience working with global colleagues and stakeholders understanding cultural differences, time zones etc.
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
• Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
• Able to prioritize work and limit work in progress in order to achieve optimal flow; must be able to manage stakeholder expectations and commitments.
• Friendly, approachable and collaborative team player who enjoys working with people from across the firm
• Continuous improvement mind-set, challenges the status quo and seeks self-improvement