Senior Product Strategy & Development Manager
- Excellent market rate + good bonus potential
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Meredith Brown Associates
- 05 Oct 17 2017-10-05
A well-regarded independent investment management firm, with award-winning funds, is looking to hire a high calibre Product professional, who combines a strategic approach with a commercial outlook. This is a high profile and business-critical role given the importance of developing and managing client-centric and innovative products (funds and segregated mandates) across all asset classes, to support the firm’s future growth. In addition to core product strategy and development activities, this role will support the company’s distribution and corporate strategy initiatives.
Alongside leading their individual complex projects, the senior Product Development Manager will also be expected to manage and support members of the team in their delivery of new product / product change initiatives and coach and mentor them in soft and technical skills. This role will be expected to advise the business on issues, such as selecting fund domiciles and structures, fund arrangements, competitor intelligence and asset class information. You will not be expected to be a technical tax or regulatory expert, however a deep understanding of relevant regulation (MiFID II, AIFMD and UCITS) and its impact on the business and fund ranges is expected. Furthermore, you will be expected to promote the product governance approval processes across the business and will also be expected to manage or chair relevant product governance committees.
Role & Responsibilities
- Build and manage strong relationships at all levels with key stakeholders (including ExCo) across the business, such as the investment management, business development, operations, compliance and legal teams, to promote the effective setting and delivery of product strategy and development.
- Set, direct and project manage the implementation of complex product development, change and ongoing product management activities.
- Advise the business on the considerations for new product strategy and development across a range of areas, including regulatory and legal requirements, potential operational efficiencies and issues, speed to market etc. across various jurisdictions including, but not limited to, the UK, US, Ireland and Luxembourg.
- Influence and play a leading role in the governance mechanisms used to manage, approve, prioritise and deliver product development initiatives.
- Understand the competitor landscape and use market intelligence to inform product design.
- Respond to regulatory change, participate or lead working groups, and identify opportunities and threats as a result of the change to the product offering.
- Support the Head of Product in the effective management of the team; coach / support other team members in technical and soft skill development including some direct line management
- Understand customer needs in relation to product strategy, development and management; coordinate third party research into customer insights where necessary and/or liaise with sales to obtain direct client feedback.
- Coordinate relevant product strategy and development initiatives across all asset classes (public & private market equity and credit, real estate and infrastructure) and all functions including manufacturing, distribution and operational infrastructure via strong project and stakeholder management.
- Act as one of the main points of contact for issues and queries relating to the firm’s products and the product development process. Work with all areas of the business to help resolve product related issues.
- Maintain the product development pipeline and deliver, on time and on budget, approved product-related initiatives.
- Manage product launches and other related product projects. Support other team members in their delivery of projects.
- Coordinate the governance approval process for new products and new investment instruments. Act as chair for committees as required.
- In conjunction with investment teams, distribution functions and the operations infrastructure groups, prepare the necessary documentation for submission to the Business Development Forum and New Products, Instrument & Markets Approvals Committee (amongst others).
- Prepare management information for senior management on product development initiatives.
- Support the definition of distribution and corporate strategy, and scoping of related projects / proposals.
- Develop and share individual product-related content knowledge, in particular around regulations, fund structures, product development process, market trends and investment content.
Skills & Experience:
To apply for this role, you must have the following:
- Likely to have a depth of product development and / or strategy background in an asset management environment with a proven track record of delivery, in order to demonstrate the skills and knowledge necessary.
- Knowledge and understanding of the institutional and wholesale investor landscape in UK and Europe. Global investor knowledge is also desirable.
- Good investment knowledge across a broad range of investment strategies and the regulatory landscape across the UK, US, Ireland and Luxembourg.
- Experience in delivery of public markets fund expected; private markets fund structures / AIFMD-compliant funds experience preferred.
- Familiarity with UCITS, AIFMD and MiFID II regulation expected.
- A strong entrepreneurial outlook; self-starting with ability to show initiative and a desire to drive tasks through to completion in timely manner.
- An excellent project manager; strong planning and organisation skills and high attention to detail.
- An ability to express complex concepts in clear language; exceptional communication skills (emails, board papers, presentations, meetings), with the ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders at all levels across the business.
- An awareness of operational, reputational and investment risk and the ways these can be mitigated.
- Team management experience, with experience reporting to senior management desirable.
- Highly intellectual with the ability to act in a proactive and professional manner, either autonomously or as part of a broader team.
- An ability to multi-task and lead complex change projects - at times the successful candidate will be required to drive more than one proposal at a time alongside overseeing projects managed by other team members.
- Strong intellectual skills evidenced by good results in top-ranked University degree level education (or equivalent), with professional qualifications e.g. in finance, accountancy, law or tax desirable.
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted.