Senior Software Engineer - Solutions
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
The Portfolio Construction Technology team is responsible for enhancing, maintaining and supporting the application suite for the Investment Implementation team.
We are seeking an experienced software developer with a background in financial service to join the Portfolio Construction Technology team. You will have a solid background in application development, release management and infrastructure/environment support, ideally within cloud-based architectures. You will be part of a dynamic team that requires a keen and diligent eye for analysis, problem solving and successfully delivery within a DevOps model.
Your focus will be on developing, enhancing, and supporting systems across all asset classes (equity, fixed income, FX and derivatives). You will work predominantly with our in-house developed investment systems which cover order intent capture, target capture, order creation and submission, trading (to a limited degree) and live PnL tracking.
You will work closely with the sustaining engineering team to ensure our systems adhere to a high level of quality, as well as engage with other teams and will require excellent communication skills.
You will help identify areas of improvement and be a driver of change for areas of improvement, including pioneering high quality system architecture and offering solutions that will improve the user experience for our global investment team, while learning and adhering to existing architecture and development best practices, such as Infrastructure as Code (IaC), automated deployment, security, resiliency and branching/PR/merging.
This is a multi-faceted role, and the successful candidate will be dynamic and capable of prioritizing and shifting focus while remaining calm under pressure. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enhance existing applications to meet the need of our global investment team
- Build new applications where appropriate, utilizing existing frameworks and building with a strategic mindset
- Establish and maintain a rapport with Investment Implementation team and Portfolio Managers
- Adopt new technologies as needed, including self-training
- Work with the QA team to devise or improve test plans
- Provide guidance and code reviews for offshore teams
- Advocate technology best practices
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, Economics, Finance or related subject
- 3+ years experience working with object-oriented software engineering
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Attention to detail, problem-solver
- At least a basic grasp of financial instruments
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Comfortable working across time zones
- Pragmatic but innovative
Not essential but advantageous:
- Experience with Tomcat, JavaFX, Swing, Hibernate, Spring, Jenkins, Git, React.js, TypeScript, Node.js, Python (including Jupyter notebooks), Oracle, OpenFin, GraphQL, Postman, or Wireshark
- Experience with AWS including EC2, CloudFormation, Route 53, ECS, API Gateway, and Lambdas
- CFA Foundations, IMC or similar qualification
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .