Senior Software & Data Engineer in London | NatWest Group Careers
Join us as a Senior Software & Data Engineer
What you'll do
- We're looking for an experienced software developer with the ability to lead design workshops, influence design decisions and explain complex technical design to the business community
- You'll be working with new and innovative technology to deliver high impact solutions
- Hone your existing software engineering skills and advance your career in this critical role
You'll apply widely agreed software engineering principles and methodologies to design, develop, test and maintain applications and services to achieve the stated business and technology goals within required budgets and timelines. We'll also look to you to oversee the quality of work, making sure that it meets the technical standards for all services output.
The skills you'll need
- Design and develop reusable libraries and APIs for use across the bank
- Design and develop software that is amenable for a greater automation of build, release testing and deployment process on all environments
- Drive the reuse and sharing of platform components and technologies within the software engineering teams
- Deliver software components to enable the delivery of platforms, applications and services
- Write unit and integration tests, in automated test environments to ensure code quality
You'll need a strong background in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture, as well as expertise in software development using Scala or Java. You should also have development experience in a programming language, experience of using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling, and a background of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, availability and performance.
You'll be an experienced team member and mentor, able to deliver against a prioritised work stack and manage priorities or blockers through to resolution. You'll also have experience in a number of core technologies in order to influence the design and build of critical components, such as Kafka, Zeppelin, Hadoop, Spark, Scala and Java.
You'll also need:
- Hadoop, Spark, big data, Agile and DevOps, and Elasticsearch expertise
- Extensive experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks, mocking and stubbing and unit testing tools
- Knowledge of the key phases of software delivery lifecycle and established software development methodologies
- Experience of working in an environment where products must be delivered to specific timescales
- An understanding of how to translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- The ability to understand and support, modify and maintain systems and code developed by other engineering teams
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you're eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we'll do everything we can to help.