Software Development Engineer
Are you passionate about building great software, working with smart and motivated software engineers, and solving incredible technical challenges? Then this opportunity is for you! We are looking for Software Development Engineers for our offices in London.
The Team: We're a small, independent team inside AWS working on green-field services to improve operational tooling and automation across the most popular AWS services.
We're looking for true "Dev" and "Ops" people. Some of these people might have come from a traditional "Sys Admin" role, but have a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and the ability to dive deep into code to find and fix issues, as well as building their own software systems that are more than just scripts. Other candidates could be Software Engineers who have a passion for not just building software, but seeing it all the way through the lifecycle into production, and then owning the day-to-day operations of a deployed system.
Regardless of your background, the ideal person will be passionate about building and running large scale services, will have experience with software engineering, Linux server administration, and excellent troubleshooting skills. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, * Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field with 5+ years of industry experience
• Proven technical leadership skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in Linux, hand on and related debugging
• Proven object-oriented design and implementation skills (Ruby, Java, and/or C++), preferably on Linux
• Good working knowledge/experience on highly distributed virtual environment, networking, s/w build and deployment process
• Strong ownership, urgency, and drive to launch services
• Strong communications skills; you will be required to proactively engage fellow Amazonians both inside and outside of your team
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Masters or PhD in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field with 8+ years of experience
• 3+ years experience working in a technical leadership role
• Hands-on experience with a modern programming language such as C, C++, or Java
• Deep understanding of scalable computing systems
• A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
• Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
• Experience working in start-up mode building new products and services from the ground up.
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills
• Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, workflow modeling, systems testing, and enterprise application integration
• Domain expertise in one or more of the following: security, mobile applications, big data analysis, software testing, user interface design