Software Development Engineer, Prime Video Variable Accounting Systems
Come build the future of entertainment with us.
Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television? Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching?
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of TV shows and movies - all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. We offer customers thousands of popular movies and TV shows from Originals and Exclusive content to exciting live sports events. We also offer our members the opportunity to subscribe to add-on channels which they can cancel at anytime and to rent or buy new release movies and TV box sets on the Prime Video Store. Prime Video is a fast-paced, growth business - available in over 240 countries and territories worldwide. The team works in a dynamic environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
Key job responsibilities
Some of the engineering challenges we face:
1. Design services for horizontal scalability - the volume of data we handle grows continuously - leveraging innovative system design solutions and AWS services.
2. Supporting global business teams. Build systems for a global organisation but think local to meet the needs of local markets. Understanding the needs of our users and the problems they face will be an important part of your role.
3. Building user interfaces to enable users to understand the impact of deals on budgets and financial models, and system interfaces to provide data to other internal services. You will engineer API's and services to support Web UI's and in the future mobile devices. You will engineer UI's, API's and backend services that do not break when large data volumes are involved.
4. We deal with highly confidential data. Design systems and components to be highly secure but very efficient in how they present data to users and other systems.
5. Design for flexibility and maintain data quality. Amazon evolves quickly, what we design today will change tomorrow so our systems need to adapt quickly to evolving business needs. You will design systems that are extensible, innovating system design thinking. With flexibility and adaptability comes risk: our job is to ensure quality remain high while we keep up with new business needs.
A day in the life
Prime Video Finance System's team builds world-class bespoke financial software to support our expanding global video business. This software calculates and pays all the royalties owed to our third party content providers. Our automation system handles millions of transactions a day, requiring high performance, high accuracy, and high flexibility to allow us to enable the fast going video business.
About the team
Our team believes in transparent communication, open discussion on design ideas, and have a fail-fast, Agile, mindset. We expect everyone to engage in discussions and want to continue developing an innovative culture where every idea is listened to. The team owns the end-to-end delivery including supporting our customers.
The role will expose an individual to many different business areas (finance/accounting/CAM/legal etc), as well as other internal services, and provide detailed knowledge of all the different departments involved in purchasing and managing a TV or Movie contract within Amazon. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR equivalent experience in software development PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design.
• Evidence of working with algorithms, data-structures, efficiency, concurrency, performance optimization.
• Evidence of working with object-oriented development and design patterns.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience developing financial or accounting software
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience communicating with users and other technical teams to collect requirements, describe software product features and technical designs
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. This will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a relevant criminal check.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.