Sr Data Analyst II
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- IHS Markit
- 18 Nov 18
Sr Data Analyst II
Job Location: London - Ropemaker Place Salary: Competitive rates apply
Posting date: 11th October 2018
Closing date: 7 November 2018
IHS Markit is a global market leader in providing information, analytics and solutions for industries and markets that drive economies worldwide.
At IHS Markit we're currently investing in our technology and data platform to develop a number of new revenue generating products, leveraging open source and big data technologies. These include new data integration, advanced analytics, visualisation, aggregation and smart data initiatives that address new customer needs and are highly visible and strategic within the organisation.
These initiatives are using best of breed technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, HDFS, Kafka, SOLR and AWS along with in-house developed technologies. The successful candidate will be working in a fast paced, dynamic team environment, building brand new commercial products which are at the heart of our business.
The candidate will work on a new IHS Markit Advanced Analytics and next generation data integration platform to develop innovative analytics solutions. Working along with SMEs across industry verticals, develop Proof of Concepts (POC) for break through ideas and develop analytical products for successful POCs.
The candidate will develop products across industries like Financial Markets, Aerospace & Defence, Maritime & Trade, Automobile, Energy, Technology, Media and Communication. These products would leverage variety of data across industries, large volumes of structured and unstructured data with varying velocity. These products use best of breed technologies and AI & Machine Learning algorithms. A sample of our products are,
Leveraging data across Financial Market, Automobile, Energy, Maritime and Defence, machine learning algorithms predict dividend announcement dates and dividend amounts
Terrorism event extraction and classification
News from multiple sources across internet is crawled and events related to terrorism are extracted, deduped and classified using Natural Language and Deep Learning algorithms
Baltic Freight Rate Index forecast
Time series econometrics models predict monthly shipping freight rate indices for dry bulk commodities across several shipping routes for future 24 months
Carbon Pathway optimization
Using non-linear optimization techniques, identify least cost path to achieve carbon emission goals by optimal planning of power production across renewable and non-renewable sources while meeting power demand
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop complex analytical algorithms and frameworks by being hands on modelling, data analysis and coding
- Partner with project leader and other data scientists in the team to build best possible data science solutions in a timely manner
- Work with a variety of data with varying complexities using advanced data science tools
- Frame optimal analytical solutions to business problems by leveraging the latest developments in Machine Learning and AI
- Employ efficient algorithms for data mining and visualization
- Research new or adapt existing machine learning approaches to novel practical problems
- Communicate insights and challenges effectively to different stakeholders in the organization
- Help gaining insights from the unique-to-the-market heterogeneous IHS Markit data through statistical/machine learning techniques
Education and experience
- 5+ years progressive professional experience in Advanced Analytics/ Data Science
- Hands on experience in modelling techniques, big data tools and coding
- Mastery of one or more of: Python, R, Java, Scala
- Experience in working in teams handling complex analytical projects
- Experience in data visualisation techniques
- Knowledge of numerical optimisation methods
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Quantitative discipline from a leading university
- Experience in Natural Language Processing & Deep Leaning techniques
- Work experience in a team similar to Advanced Analytics in IHS Markit
- You love to solve complex problems, whether that's making the user experience as responsive as possible or understanding complex client requirements.
- You can confidently present your own ideas and solutions, as well as guide technical discussions.
- Your welcoming attitude encourages people to approach you when they have a problem you can help them solve.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Right to Work
Pay Transparency Policy
Current Colleagues If you are currently a colleague with IHS Markit please apply internally via Workday.