Sr. Manager, AWS Data Lab
DESCRIPTION Would you like to lead a team driving strategic and technical implementations of Data and Analytics solutions at our most important customers? Do you think big about how data can change the world, and love building software? Would you like a career that gives you opportunities to help customers and partners use cloud computing services to build new solutions, faster, and at lower cost?
The AWS Data Lab team works directly with customers worldwide on game-changing data and analytics projects that directly impact their ability to iterate and get to production quickly. As the Manager of Solutions Architecture for the AWS Data Lab in UK/EMEA, you'll partner with technology and business teams to build new services that will delight customers and drive revenue growth. Your team will be working with customers to build their first data lake in the cloud, perform heterogeneous migrations, mature their analytics and machine learning strategy, or use many of our other data centric services in real world solutions.
We're looking for an experience leader to develop and lead a team of solutions architects to design, evangelize, and architect state-of-the-art solutions for our customers. The successful candidate must have great people management, mentoring, and hiring skills. You will assess the strengths of your team members, guide them in setting, achieving, and surpassing their goals, and help them to develop professionally
to the level of excellence. You will do all that while yourself maintaining an active personal engagement in the same kind of work at the same kind of high level that you expect from your team.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and Amaze.Con (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentor-ship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentor-ship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS The successful candidate will possess both technical and customer-facing skills that will allow you to be the technical "face" of AWS within our solution providers' ecosystem/environment as well as directly to end customers. You will be able to drive discussions with senior technical and management personnel within customers and partners, as well as the technical background that enables them to interact with and give guidance to solution architects, data scientists, software developers, and IT pros. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges. Finally, and of critical importance, the candidate will be an excellent technical team manager, someone who knows how to hire, develop, and retain high quality technical talent.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
• Lead a world class team, including hiring and providing career guidance and mentoring
• Interact with customers directly to understand the business problem and help guide them in their adoption of AWS
• Work closely with account teams to close and product engineering teams
• Drive new business and product initiatives, championing ideas that move our business forward
• Employ a data driven approach to ensuring the success and outcomes of our Data Lab engagements
This position requires travel of up to 25%.
5+ years of database and/or analytics design and development, and/or IT and networking implementation/consulting experience
2+ years of technical management experience, including a minimum of 1 year in a technical management role in a customer-facing or consulting organization
Minimum of 1 year cloud computing experience using consulting
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics/statistics, computer engineering or related technical discipline
• Experience working with large data sets, databases, and cloud-based storage
• The right person will be highly technical and analytical, possess software design and development and/or IT and networking implementation/consulting experience in relevant markets.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations. Executive speaking and presentation skills including formal presentations, white boarding, large and small group presentations.
• Management experience with small or mid-sized technical teams, and a positive and mentoring management style suitable for hiring and retaining the best talent. Experience hiring and managing a team of top-notch technologists.
• Operational experience with website/web services as well as traditional IT operations, management, and security experience.
• Business understanding of cloud computing as a fundamentally disruptive technical and business strategy
• Advisory/consulting experience with educational institutions, state and local governments
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.