Strategic Partnerships ManagerOverview
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 700 people and manage more than £7.8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The Strategic Partnerships Team sits within the wider Sales and Marketing team within Octopus Investments. The team consists of 5 other Strategic Partnership Managers who manage key partnership relationships across our key distribution channels: financial advisers, private banks and wealth managers, accountants and solicitors, platforms and online intermediaries.
Essential Job Functions
• Represent Octopus at all levels across different stakeholders but with a focus on senior relationships to drive profitable growth for Octopus
• Build new relationships with prospective partners and support any existing relationships already in place using where possible existing network of contacts
• Build a structured plan to develop key accounts, including cross sell strategy. Embed or maintain a governance of relationship with distribution to drive value for both Octopus and the strategic partner, for example organizing campaigns, product launches, white label opportunities, and marketing activity
• Working with your named accounts to identify new opportunities for Octopus and where relevant identify opportunities for other Octopus Group Companies e.g. Octopus Energy
• Applying both traditional and creative techniques to develop relationships with key partners and come up with innovative solutions to sales challenges
• Regular group presentations to audiences of intermediaries - typically financial advisers but also solicitors and accountants. Talk confidently about Octopus solutions and their role in the wider market
• Communication with Octopus sales team to highlight opportunities, influencing campaigns, using MI to qualify leads
• Gather and interpret Management Information to inform decisions with accounts and delivery of activity, monitor pipeline and inflows against targets, recommend appropriate actions
• Come up with new ideas for presentation and webinar content, compiling slide decks with the help of marketing to delivering to small and large groups at conferences and roadshows
• Manage or participate in internal projects that may impact key partners, for example online account opening, data feed integrations or new fund launches
• Provide updates to key partners on existing products, coordinate due diligence questionnaires, help answer technical queries
• Keep up to date with wider industry developments especially those that will have an impact on distributors, advice firms and Octopus
• Serving as an advocate within the business for not just your named accounts but all the strategic partnerships. This will involve working with internal stakeholders by participating in internal working groups and projects, and having the ability to work with colleagues to resolve any issues and overcome challenges
• This is an evolving role so you may be required to undertake additional tasks or participate in projects related to increasing business for Octopus
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
• It's important for this person to have an up to date knowledge of the financial services landscape along with an understanding of distributor structures (e.g. nationals, networks, compliance service providers) including advisory sales processes
• Background in asset management, platforms, advice/wealth firms preferred
• Financial planning and/or investment management industry qualifications preferred
• Proven results of both growth via existing relationships and ability to attract and cement new business relationships
• Project management experience useful
• Have the resilience to work in a fast moving, changing environment and able to cope with ambiguity. If you're a sales person that loves quarterly targets, you may be frustrated as the role requires patience and tenacity, and using relationship based sales to deliver longer term sales results
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Numerical and analytical skills essential - need to be able to analyse and interpret MI and make recommendations off this
• Ability to comprehend a complex suite of solutions and translate these into simple and commercially attractive concepts for advisers, compliance teams and heads of businesses
• Confident and credible presentation skills - be prepared to come up with content and deliver presentations to small and large groups
• The ability to navigate conflict situations and disputes, working well with internal and external stakeholders
• High quality interpersonal skills with honesty and integrity
• Able to build rapport and establish credibility with account stakeholders, and able to influence senior stakeholders directly or indirectly
• Flexible work ethic and ability to work effectively in an office, home and travel environment
• An appetite for continuous personal and professional development, broadening qualifications and learning where appropriate
• Must be curious and seek to instil automated and digital solutions wherever appropriate
• Must be comfortable in using technology and leveraging digital applications and media platforms
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.