Systems Engineer - Oracle DBA
Global Production Services (GPS) forms part of the banks Technology Function, providing core technology infrastructure products and services to the banks global platform. The department is responsible for the provision of production services across the banks key technology systems and processes, service and support framework, architecture and planning, as well as key operational security controls. The GPS department is made up of 2 key areas, Production Services and Delivery Services covering the following core functions; Production Services:
- Service Management (Service Delivery & Service Operations)
- Infrastructure Operations (Infrastructure Operations & Service Assurance)
- Application Management - IT for IT & HR (Application Support & Development)
Regional Technology Centres:
- Infrastructure Delivery (Engineering & ICBC HQ Integration)
- Infrastructure Architecture (Design & Technology Management)
- Business Management (Cost & Resource Management)
- Americas Technology
- Asia Technology
To provide operational management to the DBA infrastructure support team. Support the DBA technology stack at the third line level providing the ultimate internal technical escalation point for this stack within the ICBC Standard bank business.
Responsible for resolving &\or fulfilling incident, problem, change, service requests, break-fix, and backups \ restores etc.
Responsible for escalating/informing ICBCS and GPS management of all major DBA initiatives/major outages and reporting for the DBA infrastructure team
Responsible for the 'Deploy and Operate' GPS process on behalf of the Business including Service, Operations and Service transition as per the GPS operating handbook.
Provide technical knowledge and resource allocation supporting the GPS portfolio management function and Business project requirements
Provide out of hours technical support by forming part of the on call roster within your team.to all ICBC stakeholders, both internal and external, as well as management information reporting. Key Responsibilities
Experience required to successfully perform the role: Knowledge:
- Responsible for the management, effectiveness & performance of the of the organisation's Database technology stack operations, which will satisfy service level agreements (SLA's), and operational level agreements (OLA's), with Lines of Business (LoB), and other Run The Bank (RTB), teams.
- Responsible for deployment of the Database technology stack and component items, including deployment planning, scheduling & control, installations, hardware & software lifecycle management, upgrades (including capacity, modifications & enhancements and end-of-life replacements), as applicable.
- Database technology stack operations, including monitoring (command & control), and technical support & optimisation (to maximise availability); inclusive of systems support, communications, automation, storage, backup, restores, user access control, virus protection & safeguarding, as applicable.
- Database technology stack service management, including incident-, event-, problem- and request fulfilment management and end user (customer), support, interfacing with the organisation's IT Service Delivery department's process & procedure where applicable.
- Apply & maintain suitable technical skills to support the organisations Database technology stack and its customer base.
- Develop, maintain & support business & IT applications for Database stack operations.
- Develop & utilise support interfaces with other departments in the organisation as well as the broader IT group and GTI.
- Database technology stacks risk management with respect to identifying risk, reporting risk and mitigation \ resolving risk in support of the organisation's risk department and GTI's risk management governance. No acceptance of risk to be undertaken.
- Database technology stacks performance reporting against key performance indicators & metrics in support of GTI business management governance & the organisations business management governance.
- Participate in & support architecture designs, roadmaps, planning & deployments.
- Providing support & technical escalation to regional support staff as required.
- Execute additional responsibilities &\or tasks as designated by operational management.
Specialist Skill - Acquires and develops the specialist and technical knowledge and skill to perform the role on an ongoing basis within the changing environment of the Bank. Business Knowledge and Contribution - Understands the broader business environment in which they work from an industry, organisation, Business Unit and role perspective.
Risk Management - Identifies and manages risk within their area/s of influence and uses, develops and implements risk measurement and management systems, processes and policies within the business.
Project Management - Develops and monitors courses of action (work plans) for themselves and others to ensure that work is completed in a controlled and efficient manner.
Knowledge Management - Uses, develops and implements systems and processes to capture, manage and distribute up to date, accurate and readily accessible knowledge and information across the business, to a wide range of stakeholders. Interpersonal:
Delivering Results - effectively manages one's time and resources to ensure that objectives are achieved efficiently and on time.
Serving Our Customers - provides customers with the products, services and solutions to suit their changing needs ensuring that they are based on sound business principles.
Communicating with Impact - effectively applies verbal, nonverbal and written communication methods to achieve desired results. Presents ideas effectively to individuals or groups.
Working in Teams - Understands team dynamics and uses a flexible interpersonal style to contribute to the effective functioning of teams and to the completion of team goals.
Building Relationships - Develops and maintains ongoing working relationships, networks and partnerships to help achieve business goals through others (e.g. peers, functional partners, customers etc.).
Enabling Change - Encourages others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace. Personal:
Global Mind Set - Working together with all ICBC Standard Bank regions to ensure a consistent infrastructure stack and globally consistent support function.
Being Proactive - Strives to stay ahead by anticipating rather than reacting; ensures that their actions are always carefully considered.
Resilience - Has confidence in their ability to achieve ambitious goals and celebrates success; never allows them to become arrogant.
Problem Solving Style - Identifies clarifies/defines and works through challenges towards a defined outcome.
Acting with Integrity - Lives the Bank's business model based on trust and integrity as perceived by our stakeholders, especially our customers.
Personal Accountability - Takes full responsibility for their actions and the impact that you have on others; self-driven with a desire to continually grow and improve on their performance.
Valuing Diversity - Demonstrates dignity of all people. Respects others and what the Bank stands for. Recognises that there are corresponding obligations associated with individual rights. Knowledge, technical skills and expertise Primary:
Nice to have:
- Oracle administration v10,11g and 12c on Solaris/Linux operating systems
- Oracle RAC 12c, 18c
- Oracle ASM
- Oracle database performance tuning, using AWR
- Oracle Grid infrastructure
- Oracle DataGuard
- Oracle Snapshot Standby databases
- Oracle Flashback
- Oracle software installation, patching, upgrading and migration
- Oracle database backup & recovery - user managed and RMAN backups
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g, 13c
- Unix shell scripting and SQL, PL/SQL coding
- Experience of production database support in a banking or similar environment
- Microsoft SQL Server administration 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Experience of clustered database environments using Veritas Cluster Services
- Windows scripting and T-SQL coding
- SQL Server performance monitoring and troubleshooting skills
- SCOM for SQL Server performance & availability monitoring
Other key applications as designated Key Performance measures
- SLA's performance scores
- Services availability scores
- Customer satisfaction survey scores
- Risk profile scores
- Measures (or metrics) targets (not necessary limited to the above only), would be continuously agreed with line management
- Develop & support interfaces with other departments within the organisation and within GPS, including:
- All other IT functions
- Collegial teams within Global Production Services i.e. Portfolio Management, Architecture, Midrange, DBA's, San, Networks, Market Data, Desktop Services & Service Desk.
- Direct line management and GPS Management
- Service Delivery
- Regional IT support staff
- Core GPS Functions
- All other IT functions
- Internal / External Audit teams