Systems Engineering & Operations Manager
DESCRIPTION Does working hard, making history and having fun resonate with your professional lifestyle?
The mission of the Corporate Infrastructure Team is to deliver robust, highly available, and easy to use services to our internal customers across the global enterprise. This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest system and support engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
A successful Systems Engineering and Operations Manager joining the team will do much more than manage infrastructure, tools, and people. They will be leading a team that builds automation and services that make operating a massive large scale distributed system simple and easy. In addition to this, you will be the focal point for owning end-to-end customer experience and will be channelling the requirements to improve the service performance, scalability and reliability. You will also be in charge of forecasting and managing the end-to-end capacity as well as operating costs of large-scale services helping us turn scale into an advantage for our business and an asset to our customers.
• Enjoy being a really great people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class systems & software engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
• Have a strong understanding of Software Development, Windows & Linux OS, and Networking Technologies. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a systems or software development engineer. You will enjoy keeping your technical skills reasonably current, to the point that you can still contribute to architecture discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
• Have strong project & product management experience. The successful candidate will create roadmaps for the team. This will include helping innovate and invent new value-add services layered on top of our existing services. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. Experience with Agile methodologies is an advantage.
• Know how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. He/she will excel at using metrics, monitoring, and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes and performance of their team.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • An expert in Windows OS, with a solid understanding of Linux too
• 5+ years' system/software engineering experience, preferably in a Windows environment
• 2+ years' people management experience
• Familiarity with scripting languages - predominately PowerShell, with some familiarity with Python & Bash
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, and problem solving
• M.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS, CIS, or a related field
• Experience operating and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centres, involving hundreds/thousands of machines
• Demonstrated success working across organisational boundaries, bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions
• Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership, and closely work with develop teams to drive product improvement
• Passion for providing a great customer experience