We are currently seeking a Spanish legal/tax professional to work in London within our team of private client tax advisers to provide our financial advisers/clients with personal tax advice covering primarily Spain and the UK.
- Understanding income tax, capital gains tax, and gift/inheritance as they impact retired UK nationals.
- Writing client advice reports.
- Producing tax calculations.
- Providing telephone and email technical support to our financial advisers.
- Monitoring the market for tax/legal changes and communicating the changes to the business and updating our internal technical guides.
Depending on background and experience (perhaps after training) be able to...
- Review a person’s domicile position and prepare reports regarding that client’s domicile position.
- Calculate things like calculating 10-year charges, relevant income pools, stockpiled gains and the gains on life assurance policies.
- Planning, prioritising and organising work effectively.
- Managing yourself, resources, and time to reach a specific goal.
- Identifying and solving problems using insight and experience to make good decisions.
- Gathering relevant information, identifying important issues, and drawing conclusions.
- Understanding the company and your role within it, and how your own actions affect the wider business.
- Identifying, understanding and giving priority to meeting the needs of clients.
- Being able to work effectively with others.
- Taking actions which respect the needs and contributions of others.
- Helping to shape the agreed way of working and then supporting it.
- Expressing ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in individual and group situations, adjusting language, terminology and non-verbal communication as appropriate.
- Knowing how to get the work done most effectively and delivering a high-quality service in good time.
- High level of attention to detail
Experience and qualifications
- The candidate will have at least 2 years’ experience giving doing private client Tax/Legal Adviser for a minimum of 2 years.
- They will need to have good Spanish personal tax knowledge.
- They will hold an appropriate professional qualification such as, LLB, LLM, ATT, CTA etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Speak and read Spanish fluently.
- Knowledge and experience of advising on UK residence and domicile issues for people both leaving and entering the UK.
- Experience with the taxation of single premium life insurance bonds is a distinct advantage.
- Experience dealing with parties to a trust, including client-facing experience.
- Ability to speak French or Portuguese.
The candidate must be prepared to travel within Europe (usually 2 to 3 times a year) as required.