Tech Project Manager: Micro Services Framework
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Reporting directly to the global head of the MicroServices Framework team in London, you will assist the group in project coordination across our various initiativesState Street
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We’re using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data a day, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, but solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide (not just trying to get people to click on ads). We don’t expect you to wear a suit, we don’t expect you to not be able to tell your friends what you’re working on, we don’t expect you to sit in meetings 5 hours a day.
This Team (If Appropriate)
This role is for the technology team that is in charge of our microservices framework. We consider this, with our Unified Data Architecture, to serve as the application operating system for State Street, and covers everything that an application devops team would work with on a daily basis:
- We provide “kubectl as a service” across public and private clouds
- We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management (e.g. Helm), networking (e.g. Calico), service mesh (e.g. Istio, Conduit)
- We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards
- We provide standard CI/CD infrastructure
- We develop application archetypes and training materials and actively assist in helping application developers make the best use of this infrastructure
- We are a geographically distributed team, including with fully remote workers
Reporting directly to the global head of the MicroServices Framework team in London, you will assist the group in project coordination across our various initiatives.
Typical tasks would include (but not be limited to):
- Developing cross-functional project plans that go beyond basic technology delivery and coordinating those from inception to delivery and demise
- Developing models used to drive decision making (e.g. financial planning, capacity utilization, hiring pipeline)
- Gathering data from other members of the team and automated systems and formatting it into reports for distribution within and beyond the team
- Generating reports from primary source material (e.g. team plans) to serve a number of internal uses (e.g. financial reporting, real estate projections, HR projections)
- Coordinating with project managers for other teams on dependencies, milestone projections, and joint deliveries
While we are a distributed team, as the head of this team is based in London, this role is based in London as well. We do support flexible working arrangements, as long as you are able to commute on a regular basis to our office in London.
Successful candidates will:
- Have excellent Excel, Word, and Powerpoint skills
- Have experience handling the impedance mismatch between agile methodologies (scrum, Kanban, etc.) and traditional corporate and project management methodologies
- Be able to use typical engineering project management tools (such as Jira, GitHub, etc)
- Have excellent attention to detail and record keeping skills
- Be comfortable working with a geographically distributed team, including handling time zone differentials
- Have a University degree and 5+ years experience in managing IT projects operating in a matrix environment
- Have a PMP certification or be in progress towards certification
- Exposure or experience to any of the key technologies that this team manages: Kubernetes, CI/CD, Micro-Services, Public/Private Cloud
- Have a collaborative, team-first attitude, sharing experience and offering mentoring and guidance to the overall team
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company
Experience working in a large organization is a plus, as is working in financial services. However, these are not required for motivated candidates.