VAT Compliance Accountant, Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax Department reports to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 200 employees worldwide.
The Tax department ensures compliance with income and indirect tax filings, and monitors tax regulations and legislation. In addition, it calculates reports and discloses all of the Firm's tax-related expenses. The department also plans and manages the Firm's domestic and international tax strategies and advises Firm management and business units on business products, location and structure.
The Indirect Tax Group in London, Sydney, Budapest, Shanghai and New York provide Morgan Stanley with global in-house expertise, primarily in VAT. The Group brings together technical experts who advise business units, with controllers who have an understanding of the processes, systems and accounting principles.
Reporting to the UK VAT Compliance Manager, based in London, the main responsibility is the preparation of the VAT return for Morgan Stanley UK VAT Group. In addition, the individual will be required to assist with other projects as required.
· Complete a regular quarterly process of preparation of UK VAT returns / statistical declarations, obtaining and compiling information; reviewing sales and purchase invoices for VAT purposes; and computing Reverse Charge VAT
· Perform various postings to the General Ledger including irrecoverable VAT expense
· Reconcile VAT accounts monthly, track and resolve any issues
· Liaise with Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable teams to highlight and rectify any issues with invoices/upstream systems from a VAT perspective
· Liaise with the business units to understand their business and to ensure that the correct information has been received for the UK VAT return, and work with them to resolve any issues
· Handle management reporting queries and contribute to forecasting of irrecoverable VAT expense
· Work with the members of the Indirect Tax group regarding methodologies to be applied, and broadly understand the reasoning and logic employed
· Documentation and maintenance of processes and desktop procedures
· Assist with VAT audits and routine queries from HMRC
· Assist with technology projects to automate processes
· Other projects/tasks as required
· Experience in a Finance related role, preferably in the area of VAT compliance
· Good interpersonal and strong communications skills
· Ability to work closely with the Manager, and independently without direct supervision
· Inquisitive mind-set, problem solver
· Intermediate skills on Microsoft tools, particularly Excel
· Self-motivated and proactive
· Well organized and detail-oriented
· Keen to develop own potential and career
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.