VAT Compliance Manager
Amazon's vision is to be Earth's most customer-centric company; to build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online. Originally known as a bookseller, Amazon has dramatically expanded its range over the years to offer everything from DVD's to MP3's, Toys to Tools, Clothing to Computers and so much more.
Amazon's diverse internet business requires VAT filings in a number of jurisdictions across Europe. We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic VAT Manager to join us at the heart of our European VAT compliance team. This is a well-established team based in the UK which is responsible for VAT compliance across the region as well as providing support to Tax colleagues and the wider business. The role will include accounting and VAT responsibilities including managing quality control, identifying risks and supporting internal and external audits. You will also be involved in business project launches that have a VAT compliance impact and will need project management ability, understanding of financial systems, and technical accounting awareness. You will be expected to take ownership of VAT controls and assist with compliance tasks, identify process improvement opportunities for existing process and controls, and drive positive change across the organization. You will also be responsible for managing a small team of VAT Analysts.
Working within the current EMEA compliance team:
• Prepare, review and submit EMEA VAT returns and related filings
• Assist with VAT registrations across various jurisdictions;
• Manage and assist with VAT compliance queries from Amazon businesses operating across Europe;
• Provide intelligent and creative solutions to VAT issues both re-actively and proactively;
• Review month-end VAT account reconciliations;
• Provide internal and external audit support, including data analysis;
• Liaise with, and deal with VAT compliance and audit enquiries from, tax authorities;
• Provide support to and partner with colleagues throughout the business
• Lead and participate in cross-functional projects;
• Map VAT processes and identify areas for improvement;
• Support business growth and on-boarding of new companies and entities;
• Act as people manager for the members of the team.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
• A strong desire to exceed expectations;
• Organised, analytical and methodical with strong attention to detail;
• Strong computer, particularly MS Excel, skills;
• Good communication and personal skills with a hands-on team-oriented attitude;
• Able to take ownership of work, initiate and implement change, and demonstrate a problem solving approach;
• Able to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
• Demonstrable work experience working in Tax and/or VAT compliance function;
• CIMA ,ACCA, ACA, AAT or similar credentials preferred;
• Relevant accounting or tax experience (public/private mix preferred);
• Experience of compliance in European jurisdictions
• Experience within Turkish VAT is a plus
In return, we will offer you an attractive package including basic salary, stock units, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. You will also have the opportunity to develop a rewarding career with one of the UK's leading online retailers.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. This will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy/procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.