A leading tier-one investment bank is looking to hire an experienced VAT manager to act as a number 2 to the EMEA Head in the provision of technical VAT advice and compliance oversight across the bank's EMEA entities.
This is a diverse, hands-on role which covers the full remit of indirect tax, comprising four key pillars of responsibility;
- VAT compliance
- VAT Planning & Advisory
- Governance & controls
The role which will support the EMEA Head of VAT, sits in a lean team of 6 people between London and Poland, therefore providing a great platform for exposure and career progression
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Act as key SME on UK VAT compliance processes, overseeing a dedicated offshore team in the preparation and review of annual and quarterly VAT returns, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of VAT returns and accuracy and timeliness of VAT payments. Decide on tax positions.
- Act as key adviser across various divisions across the EMEA jurisdictions on the tax consequences of their business strategies, and provision of VAT advice in relation to corporate transactions and initiatives.
- Participate in New Business Initiatives to advise on the VAT consequences of new products, business divisions and entities, including advising the business on implementation of guidelines and/or processes to meet tax related requirements and preparation of sign-off recommendations.
- Participating in the development and implementation of the EMEA VAT planning
- Manage and report EMEA VAT governance and control including;
- Operational risk reporting
- SOX processes and controls
- Escalation of VAT matters
The role will also have significant exposure to various projects resulting from the bank’s heavy investment into technology and innovation. This role will spearhead the EMEA roll-out of a new software application implementation which will introduce a new vendor product to manage the VAT returns. There will also be future projects coming through from the continued investment in machine-learning and RPA solutions.
- Big 4 trained, CTA qualified, proven experience ideally within Financial services Indirect tax.
- Prior in-house experience is preferred, but not essential.
- Strong communication skills and sound commercial decision making.
- Relishes the opportunity to innovate and implement change and improvements. Brings insight and effectively applies knowledge to business problems