Blackfinch Group is an award-winning investment specialist with a heritage dating back over 25 years. We’re proud to be entrusted with over £500 million in assets under management and administration. As an environmental, social and governance (ESG) investor, we work for a positive impact.
Blackfinch Ventures is an exciting part of Blackfinch Group, investing in innovative tech start-ups through the Ventures EIS Portfolios and the Spring Venture Capital Trust. With investments in over 12 ground-breaking companies, we’re looking to expand our Ventures team as we search for more pioneering businesses.
Purpose of role:
The Ventures Director role will work closely with the Head of Ventures at the heart of an exciting and fast paced ecosystem which regularly invests in the UK’s most promising tech start-ups. They will use their extensive network to generate new deal flow, taking part in events and panels to build the Blackfinch brand. In the deal process they will negotiate Term Sheets, ensure the quality of due diligence, interpret reports from external experts and oversee the preparation of Investment Committee papers. They will work with the internal and external legal teams to negotiate final full form agreement and act as a key contact for founders during the deal stage. They will act as board observer in portfolio companies, spot emerging issues and act to resolve these quickly, engaging internal and external stakeholders as required. And they will draw on their existing network to find NEDs for portfolio companies.
This is an exciting senior role in a dedicated, hardworking Ventures ecosystem which will also play a pivotal part in the development of the wider team. For a dedicated, hardworking Ventures professional, they will contribute to not only the Ventures ecosystem but also play a key part in the wider development of the team.
• Using own network to source, oversee and optimise the team’s deal
• Building and creating new relationships with accelerators and other
deal flow sources.
• Presenting and taking part in events and panels to build the
• Being a key point of contact with founders of the UK’s brightest startups.
• Negotiating Term Sheets and key deal parameters.
• Performing and overseeing assessments on opportunities.
• Leading on Investment Committee papers and presenting these internally.
• Working with internal and external legal teams to agree on deal points.
• Working with external experts to assess technology, IP and tax qualifying status.
• Acting as board observer for portfolio companies, reporting on and resolving issues.
• Preparing investor reports and working with external NEDs around board meetings.
• Identifying, developing and growing relationships with potential new NEDs.
• Any other duties commensurate with this level of role a requested by either the CEO, CIO or directors.
Essential Experience and Skills:
• Have 10-15 years’ experience in the start-up sector with a strong network.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, a flair for negotiation, influencing and persuading.
• Talented presenter and track record of contributing to panels and events.
• Experience acting on the boards of early-stage companies.
• An ability to simply articulate complex issues, both in written form and verbally.
• A team player with experience of managing teams to high performance.
• Excellent attention to detail and highly proficient with Microsoft Office.
• Strong time management and high level of dedication during busy periods.
• Excited by the world of early-stage start-ups.
• Willing to learn fast and adopt new technologies.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
• Founded a technology start-up.
• Experience in the financial industry.
• Essential Qualifications:
• Hold a minimum 2:1 degree or equivalent.
• A science, business/financial, engineering or technology-based degree.
• Either hold, or be prepared to work towards a professional finance qualification.
At Blackfinch we’re working to make a difference in the world. We partner with advisers to meet client and business aims. Inspired by the work of Charles Darwin, we’re named after one of Darwin’s finches, which influenced his theories of evolution.
Our values of ‘adapt’, ‘evolve’ and ‘thrive’ run through everything we do. We continually adapt to changing markets, providing evolved products so that our customers can thrive. These values inform our work as an ESG investor, working towards a more sustainable future.