CIB Credit is responsible for corporate and investment banking credit for customers in the EMEA region (non-Japanese). Its major functions are outlined as follows: Assessment and approval of transactions. Assessment and approval of borrower ratings. Assessment and management of credit, sector, and country risks, as well as other related risks Portfolio management, monitoring, and analysis Early action and management of problematic assets.
Main Purpose of the Role
- To support the Natural Resources team in CIB Credit to develop and maintain a sound portfolio within the credit risk appetite for the sector.
- To assess the credit of obligors in the EMEA region and make recommendations on transactions, borrower ratings, and exposure management to senior management with discretionary authority.
- To partner with front and product offices and contribute to the development of credit strategy for respective sectors and regions.
- Work collaboratively with relevant business lines on business plans, establishing appropriate credit policy and monitoring frameworks.
- To manage, monitor and report on a defined portfolio of clients, ensuring a proactive, transparent and rigorous approach to the management of credit risk and escalation of issues.
- Be able to lead the review, debate and challenge of borrower ratings and credit recommendations with the respective coverage areas to ensure a balanced risk/reward approach and appropriate use of capital. Develop and articulate MUFG risk appetite for specific regions, industries, sectors, obligors.
- Ensure effective communication across all levels of management with internal and external stakeholders within EMEA and other regions. Represent MUFG professionally with external clients in due diligence meetings.
- Give guidance to other areas of the bank on risk appetite, credit controls, policies and procedures.
- Support the development of the division’s operating model, ensuring optimal, efficient, and best practice delivery and performance supporting our clients.
- Credit experience in a global banking environment, corporate banking or investment banking institution, or relevant rating agency experience.
Skills and Experience
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- In depth knowledge of credit and risk principles, products and management.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to identify key issues.
- Ability to communicate both in writing and verbally clearly and concisely.
- Knowledge and previous experience in the Natural Resources space.
- Knowledge and previous experience with Commodity Traders and Chemical sectors.
Education / Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability.
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly.
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement.
- A structured and logical approach to work.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- A creative and innovative approach to work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment.
- Strong numerical skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills.