Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
The Legal department’s principal functions are to:
- Provide legal services and legal advice to each international securities business and banking businesses
- Draft, review and negotiate contractual documentation, whether transactional or non-transactional
- Draft structured notes and other product documentation and arrange for issuance of such notes and products
- Provide structuring, legal and execution advice in relation to transactions and new business
- Provide transaction management support for securities issues and financing transactions arranged or underwritten by an international securities business
- Evaluate legal risk business is conducted in a lawful and professional manner
- Identify and advise on the implementation of new laws and regulations
- Provide legal oversight of regulatory matters and government affairs
- Manage all disputes, litigation, regulatory proceedings and other contentious matters
- Manage and approve all use of law firms
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a high-qualified and experienced Structuring lawyer to join our team for a maternity leave cover.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for Legal Structuring across MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, the employee will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the entity which employs them.
- Advise on, participate in and implement Firm and International Business transactions, proceedings, actions, projects and initiatives.
- Provide legal advice, review draft and negotiate documentation and provide all related transaction management and project management for:
- cash & synthetic, funded & unfunded structured transactions covering all asset classes
- note issuance by the Firm or its affiliates
- netting and collateral enforceability opinions
- project finance and securitisation transactions
- notes issuance by SPVs already established or to be established by the Firm
- Review, draft and negotiate transaction documents, term-sheets, client presentations and provide all related transaction management and project management for structured transactions including:
- derivative documentation including ISDA and foreign law governed master agreements
- repo and securities lending documentation
- other forms of market standard trading documentation as well as bespoke and market standard bond, loan, derivative, foreign exchange, index, forward, options and any other type of documents.
- Advise and assist business units in the structuring and the setting-up of new & complex products and new business initiatives.
- Coordinate the establishment, updates, upgrades, listing and administration of note/loan issuance programmes that the Firm establishes for transactional and other purposes, as well as all supporting service providers including SPV administrators, custodians, auditors and others.
- Provide legal advice and support with respect to strategic, legal and documentation matters and initiatives in relation to structuring transactions.
- Advise on the legal, regulatory and reputational issues arising in transactions and in the non-transactional aspects of the operation and business activities of the Firm and the International Business.
- Provide training on legal and regulatory issues to employees of the Firm and the International Business.
- Participate in industry forums and working groups.
- Participate in working groups and committees of the Firm and the International Business.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 5 year’s PQE in UK or equivalent jurisdiction, preferably at an in-house legal department or leading law firm with primary experience in derivatives and/or structured products
- Demonstrate commercial awareness of the latest market issues and regulatory changes.
- Excellent structured finance experience with a good knowledge of structuring and execution of asset backed transactions across a range of asset classes, together with the related regulatory background
- Ability to build effective and positive client relationships quickly and fully embrace the importance of client service
- Ability to explain complex legal concepts to a non-technical audience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal
- Team player
- Proactive and enthusiastic
- Pragmatic, curious and commercially minded
- Ability to speak/read another language is desirable although not essential
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.