The Tax team at MUFG is responsible for managing the tax affairs of both the Bank and Securities businesses covering all non-employment taxes. As a Tax Manager, you will be responsible: to manage the UK VAT compliance of MUFG Bank and Securities also responsible for presence in France and Netherlands; to advise the business on VAT matters; to expand to non-VAT areas to support the wider Tax team.
We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide.
Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
Overview of Department/Section
Finance is responsible for the effective financial management and stewardship of the detailed accounting records, general ledger reporting, budgeting and forecasting, and tax affairs of the company.
Main Purpose of the role
The Tax team is responsible for managing the tax affairs of both the Bank and Securities businesses covering all non-employment taxes.
As a Tax Manager, you will be responsible:
- To manage the UK VAT compliance of MUFG Bank and Securities also responsible for presence in France and Netherlands
- To advise the business on VAT matters
- To expand to non-VAT areas to support the wider Tax team
- Managing preparation of quarterly UK VAT returns for Bank and Securities businesses
- Oversee the preparation of non-UK VAT returns (e.g. France and Netherlands)
- Maintain a strong VAT control environment
- Manage the Bank’s Senior Accounting Officer regime obligations in relation to VAT
- Oversee VAT invoicing
- Review existing VAT processes and identify efficiency improvements
- Ensure areas of technical judgement well documented
- Correspond with HMRC on VAT matters including HMRC inquiries, and manage ongoing VAT disputes with HMRC
- Act as lead VAT specialist providing VAT advice on group wide projects, new products and intragroup agreements
- Manage the Group’s response to new VAT legislation and case law.
- Manage other indirect taxes e.g. SDRT, FTT etc.
- Support the business and tax department by assisting with other tax areas as required in particular review of intragroup arrangements from a Transfer Pricing (TP) perspective and preparation of TP documentation
- Reviewing the TP implications of new transactions and new business proposals
- Significant scope for involvement in other tax areas e.g. withholding tax, Research and Development credits etc.
- Major Accounting Firm Tax Practice or in house role at another financial institution
Functional / Technical Competencies
- Sound knowledge of UK/EU VAT legislation and case law
- Practical experience of UK VAT & partial exemption methods
- Financial sector tax experience, preferably in banking and/or capital markets tax
- Awareness of tax risk and importance of risk control procedures
- Experience of other tax areas
Education / Qualifications
- Recognised professional qualification covering tax (e.g. ACA/CIOT or overseas equivalent)
- Results driven, with a strong sense of personal accountability
- The ability to work flexibly in managing large workloads and tight deadlines
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- The ability to operate with urgency and priorities work accordingly
- A structured and logical approach, using your own initiative and good judgement to work autonomously
- The ability to think about topics holistically in gaining a front to back understanding of areas outside your immediate remit
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confident communication style
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.