- Manchester, England, United Kingdom Manchester England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 19 Apr 18 2018-04-19
See job description for details
Join us as Lead Engineer in Edinburgh or Manchester
- Lead a new, collaborative team of developers and set the technical direction for the delivery of applications and solutions
- Work with the latest technologies and hone your leadership talents in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
- Develop your project expertise, as you work with senior stakeholders to deliver technical solutions which will play a key role in the future of our business and how we serve our customers
- We are working extensively with third parties and other FinTechs to accelerate our knowledge and the pace of delivery
What you'll do
As one of the top three lenders in the Home Buying market we are investing heavily in transforming the way that customers buy homes and we are starting with the mortgage application process itself. We're going to make it faster, more automatic and more customer centric and employ new technologies and approaches to achieve this
You'll take a leading role in the technical design, development and testing of applications and services and be leading a team of software engineers to deliver great quality solutions in line with agreed plans. This will involve leading on solution design options and explaining the pros and cons to key stakeholders so the best decision can be reached. From initial planning to delivery, you'll be working closely with a wide range of business and technical stakeholders to ensure solutions are delivered that meet the needs of our customers and the business.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the team in estimating build and testing complexity
- Monitoring the technical progress made against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance
- Supporting and mentoring the team in understanding software languages and technical domains
- Driving the adoption of software engineering principles, processes and best practices and keeping up to date with the latest technologies
- Liaising with engineers, architects, business analysts and other key stakeholders to understand objectives, requirements and options
- Helping to define technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps and migration plans
The skills you'll need
To succeed in this role, it's essential you have extensive experience of developing front end, web based applications using the languages HTML5, and frameworks such as REACT.
We're looking for someone with significant experience in software engineering and design, or database design and architecture. You'll also need experience in providing leadership for a technical team and excellent stakeholder management skills.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with senior business and technical stakeholders
- Experience implementing programming best practice - especially around scalability, availability and performance
- Experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks
- Thorough knowledge of the software delivery lifecycle, established software development methodologies and agile delivery methods
- An innovative mind-set and the problem solving skills to translate product and business requirements into workable solutions
- Knowledge of security technologies such as OAUTH, orchestration technologies such as BPMn and business process management, document management and processing.
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.