Senior Operations Infrastructure Engineer with Tooling
- Up to £60,552 plus performance related bonus, work/life balance and excellent benefits package
- Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Sep 18
Do you want to be part of something really big?
Are you a Senior Operations Infrastructure Engineer with expertise in Tooling?
Are you ready to take on a massive challenge and drive forward a once-in-a-generation modernisation programme?
We are looking for a Senior Operations Infrastructure Engineer to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation. Our people work on projects that are revolutionising products and services that are used by millions of people every day.
We know that better digital services in government will mean better public services. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies – and putting the user at the centre of everything we do - we create innovative digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users.
If you want to help us to improve business processes and applications and be our ambassador in a “World Class Service”, ensuring happy end users then we would love to hear from you….
*Please be aware that an offer for this role is subject to a successful SC that can take 4-6 weeks minimum*
You and your role
As a Senior Operations Infrastructure Engineer within Tooling you will play a key role in supporting DWP Business. You and your team will be responsible to ensure that Tooling is aligned and suitable to ensure support of the business that affects thousands of DWP users, who in turn provide services to millions of vulnerable UK citizens.
You will be a leader within the team, and have the chance to mentor and coach others. You will be energetic with a positive outlook and have the ability to motivate yourself and your colleagues in the team to overcome any challenge.
You are technically gifted with an investigative way of thinking and enjoy the challenge of getting stuck into issues to find out why things aren’t working. You are someone who is able to work at pace and is accustomed to change. Your strong technical background will allow you to learn and pick up skills fast.
Ideally, you would have had a role within and application support environment in the past.
We serve people from every possible background from all across the UK, and we are looking for applicants who reflect that diversity and who share our values on equality.
What are we looking for?
- Working within BPDTS as a Senior Operations Infrastructure Engineer within tooling you will provide leadership for an operational support team capability, to support monitoring and automation services and solutions for the DWP.
- You will need to meet the following essential criteria and pre-requisite experience
- Successful track record of operations of enterprise tooling in large scale organisations and supporting enterprise tooling operations.
- Monitoring and event management techniques.
- Good understanding of the main Infrastructure technologies – Compute, Network,Storage.
- Effective management of resources, prioritisation and versatility in a rapidly changing and developing environment.
To be successful in the role you will have the following skills & expertise:
- ITIL certified and expertise in Tooling
- Ideally, knowledge of VME mainframe and legacy systems ( currently we have 178 Business Applications)
- Multi- client environment experience with wide range of systems Automation of systems/Business Applications
- Supporting the operational aspects of enterprise tooling operations, including event management, service management, application discovery, application performance management, business intelligence, network and system configuration, service automation and CMDB.
- Products, services and techniques to operate enterprise tooling in infrastructure services.
- Monitoring tools such as BMC Truesight / Entuity / HP SIM (preferred) or equivalent alternatives (e.g. Solarwinds, Nagios, N-Able, OpenManage )
- Operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Server and Red-hat Linux.
- Change management and working within a large distributed organisation.
- Already hold or be willing to undergo security vetting to SC level.
- Scripting / coding knowledge (one or more of Powershell, Shell Scripting eg Perl )
- BMC Certified or equivalent experience
- ServiceNow Certified, [Administrator, Develop, Implementation Specialist] or equivalent experience/skills
- Experience of the products, services and techniques to operate enterprise tooling in infrastructure services.
- Automation and batch scheduling (CA Autosys preferred)
Where will you work?
BPDTS Ltd provides dedicated services to the Department for Work and Pensions. Our digital, data and technology specialists work closely with experts in DWP Digital’s community to make digital services quicker, simpler and more efficient for the millions of people that use them.
You will join our growing team in one of our modern, vibrant digital hubs in either Newcastle or Manchester.
Each hub is designed for and by members of our digital community. We provide the latest tech and tooling and foster a collaborative culture to help our agile, multidisciplinary teams think big and try new things.
What is our offer?
- We’ll reward you with a very competitive salary of up to £60,552
- You will be eligible for a pension with employer contributions of up to 10%
- We can offer you a performance related annual bonus of up to 10%
- We’ll help you balance your life and work
- We’ll give you a generous leave allowance, with the option to buy and sell extra days
We also offer much more as part of a flexible benefits package - including a cycle to work scheme and lots of family friendly perks - which can be tailored to your lifestyle.
If you really impress us with your skills and experience then we may be able to negotiate the maximum salary.
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in you.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills you’ll acquire on the job. You’ll get the chance to share knowledge and with colleagues from across our digital communities, and to grow your skills through our coaching and mentoring programmes.
How to Apply?
Hit APPLY for more information and to continue your application on our careers page. There you will also find candidate pack with more information, which you can download by clicking the ‘Job Spec’ button.
If you have any questions or you want to discuss this opportunity please contact me via email@example.com
Please note the closing date for all applications is 02/10/18 at midnight.