Graduate Actuarial Trainee
: Graduate Actuarial Trainee Fields of Work:
Investment, Risk Management & Life Insurance Location:
Potters Bar (Canada Life offers blended work pattern) Start Date:
Autumn 2022 Degree Required:
2:1 Disciplines Recruited From
: Mathematics or another numerate subject preferred Salary:
Competitive + Benefits Closing date of position
: 14th February 2022 Please note:
On the application form, under Job specific information you are asked to answer two questions that will be assessed as part of your application. Please make sure these sections are completed. About us
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
As an Actuarial Trainee at Canada life you will be responsible for providing actuarial, statistical and financial analysis to senior management to contribute to the function's ability to manage risk exposure to the business in order to satisfy our statutory responsibilities as well as the needs of policyholders and that of our regulators.
- Assist with the production of financial analysis for a specific area of the business with line management and team member support and supervision.
The role holder will be developing sound understanding of statistical and financial models.
- Contributing to reports within their function or discipline to enable management to make informed financial decisions and to manage risk.
- Provide support to their immediate team by producing analysis and contributing to reports/reporting related to business products in a specific line of business or otherwise, to ensure that new business is written on profitable terms and managed effectively and that they comply with the company risk management framework.
- Contribute to analysis for regular departmental and business reports taking in to account commercial and statutory considerations.
- Provide commentary on analysis to immediate line management.
- Assist in the continuous review and improvement of the department's processes and procedures to ensure the provision of timely, accurate and efficient levels of service and ensure that documentation is kept up to date.
- Taking part in and making a valuable contribution to different roles via the actuarial student rotation scheme as well as actively studying for the actuarial exams and making acceptable exam progress, as determined by the company and in line with the company study policy
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills Technical Expertise
• Developing knowledge and understanding of different actuarial disciplines including via student rotation
• Can analyse financial information for immediate line management, beginning to provide insight and commentary.
• Developing knowledge of a variety of statistical methods, models and controls, and their commercial application/implication.
• Intermediate MS excel skills demonstrating efficient use of spreadsheets and basic data manipulation skills
• Ability to deliver work to a high standard under tight time pressure with attention to detail
• Developing sound analytical and report writing/drafting skills.
• Developing the ability to explain complexities accurately with coaching or support from managers. Relationship Building:
• The ability to develop and maintain relationships within their team, acting with integrity and being a role model for the company values at all times.
• Being able to flex their style and approach to different individuals, with coaching and support, in order to achieve a successful outcome.
• Taking part in and making a valuable contribution in different roles via actuarial student rotation Problem Solving & Accurate Judgement:
• Able to plan, organise and execute their own work with some supervision, making management aware of conflicting priorities and readjusting their workload accordingly.
• Good problem solving skills and attention to detail, being able to identify issues and interdependencies, recommending a course of action with support and guidance from colleagues.
• Can make some decisions independently in order to progress issues but able to exercise sound judgement to assess when matters need to be escalated. Developing Self
• Actively studying for actuarial exams, usually being less than half-way through their qualification.
• An interested and inquisitive individual who is committed to their own ongoing professional and personal development.
• Developing the ability to apply technical actuarial techniques and understand business/commercial implications.
Degree (or equivalent) in Finance, Mathematics, Statistics or related field
Post-graduate qualification in Finance, Mathematics, Statistics or related field (not essential) Benefits of working at Canada Life
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
A competitive study package is available to all our actuarial trainees, which includes study days, tutorials, course materials and entry fees for the first sitting of each exam. Every new starter is assigned a mentor to oversee their progress. Canada Life has a strong culture of success in the actuarial examinations and provides an environment for new actuaries to study and develop. Culture and Values
Our culture is incredibly important to us at Canada Life and everything we do is underpinned by our values - people, integrity, excellence and togetherness. We know that values alone won't create a company culture and that it's our people living the values that brings our culture to life. That's why we invest in the development of our people, technology and workplaces. We want our people to have long and rewarding careers with us. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences
At Canada Life we believe in the power of great people from different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives coming together to build better futures. Emerging talent is crucial to our growth and creating an environment that continues to inspire us all. "
Nick Harding, Chief People Officer, Canada Life UK