Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
What we’re building
We now need a Health and Safety Manager to support the transformation and the future growth of the business within the Corporate Development function, so it can drive and enable delivery of corporate initiatives, communicate organisational priorities and manage our physical working environment to ensure we deliver a work place for our employees that aligns to our future vision and values.
To ensure that the Company complies with its legal obligations under H&S legislation (both statute & case law), and operates in accordance with the terms of its published H&S Policy.
This is a central role supporting all departments in training, procedural documentation, administration and auditing. External visits to suppliers and contractors may be required.
This role is based in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, supporting the compliancy needs of both this site and other sites
Helping to maintain training of staff, compliance and enforcement with all legal requirements as well as Co-ordination of internal and external audits and Inspections.
Preparation and maintenance of site summaries for use by Management, External Parties and Legal Authorities.
Ensuring appropriate systems and best practices are employed.
The primary role is to manage / oversee all H&S related functions carried out by CL staff, contractors, consultants advisors, ensuring as far as reasonably practicable, the protection of the business and users of the premises through compliance with legislation and business processes at the following locations where Travel between sites and our offices in central London will be required.:
•Canada Life Place - Approx. 650 staff
•Bristol Rivergate - Approx. 300 staff
•Worthing - Approx. 50 staff
•Cannon St - Approx. 60 staff
•Lombard St - Approx. 120 staff
•Home Based - Approx. 60 staff
•Isle of Man - Approx. 130 staff
What you’ll do
- Manage all business as usual H&S issues, ensuring that appropriate H&S policies and procedures are agreed & implemented, records maintained including but not limited to: Fire, Display Screen Equipment compliance, Workstation Assessments, First Aid, Fire and Bomb, Driver Risk, Accidents and Near-misses.
- Undertake all BAU H&S activities
- Ensure an up to date awareness and demonstrable experience and understanding of current and proposed H&S regulations and legislation and maintain, update & communicate to all staff agreed Company policies in relation to H&S, including provision of appropriate training e.g. LMS
- Provide advice & guidance to managers & staff on all health & safety issues, ensuring that they remain aware of their responsibilities & obligations
- Provide the Head of Facilities with a monthly H&S status report.
- Provide the Facilities Management team with a 6 monthly status report.
- Provide appropriate support to the Company’s Health & Safety Committee, so that issues raised by management and representatives are resolved in a timely and effective manner
- Manage the appropriate risk assessments process at all occupied premises; liaise with the Facilities Manager’s as appropriate to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to reduce identified risks. Produce an Audit Report after each Risk Assessment to be shared with the Head of Facilities and where appropriate, the Health & Safety Committee.
- Produce an on-going Audit Report to capture outstanding action points from all risk assessments
- Obtain support from the various Facilities Manager’s to ensure all action points from assessments, audits or reports are addressed with the appropriate urgency.
- Provide support to other members of the Facilities team as required to ensure all tasks are delivered in line with corporate and regulatory requirements
- Ensure other members of the Facilities team maintain an up to date awareness of the health and safety requirements of the organisation to ensure sufficient cover is available at all times
- Health & Safety – ensure a strict adherence to Health and Safety compliance and provide regular (as agreed) status updates to the H&S Committee.
- Responsible for the Health and Safety Budget
- Provide First aid, Fire & Bomb Warden management and cover.
- Work with the FM – Hard Services to ensure that all equipment in is calibrated, serviced and maintained in accordance with H&S legislation.
- Approve all COSHH and RAMS for BAU and all projects
Who you are
- Recognised H&S qualification (e.g. NEBOSH Diploma / NEBOSH Certificate)
- Currently working in a health and safety role or recent experience in a health and safety role
- Able to identify relevant problems & recommend appropriate solutions to all levels of the business in order to protect the business.
- Able to prioritise workloads effectively, and work to deadlines
- Good level of IT literacy (MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, to include delivering presentations and training at all levels of the business including Board level.
- Able to deal with sensitive/controversial issues diplomatically
- Willingness to pursue further training/ qualifications within the industry.
- Knowledge of H&S management systems and on-line legislative guidance resources e.g. Barbour
- Experience of working within a Corporate Professional Environment
- Recognised current H&S qualification. The minimum for this role would be - NEBOSH Diploma, or holders of the NEBOSH Certificate may be considered together with very recent experience in a health and safety role or equivalent NVQ
- Educated to Degree level
- Excellent knowledge of all applicable current H&S legislation & HR legislation around the Equality Act including but not limited to – Display Screen Equipment, Manual Handling of Loads, fire and water safety legislation, Electricity at Work, Gas safety etc.
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme.
You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Our focus is to have an engaged, committed and motivated work force, operating in a high performing and collaborative culture. We want to create an organisation that offers opportunities for all our people to develop their skills and talent, and build rewarding careers with us.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences.