Senior Actuarial Assistant
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
• Contribute to determining and managing the regulatory and economic capital requirements for companies in the UK Division.
• Contribute to an effective Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework by producing Stress and Scenario Testing (SST) analyses, capital projections and sensitivities on a range of capital metrics
This position will commence in our Potters Bar, Hertfordshire office.
Please note this position is not intended for internal applicants already on the actuarial student scheme.
- Contribute to determining and managing the regulatory and economic capital requirements for companies in the UK Division.
- Contribute to an effective Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework by producing Stress and Scenario Testing (SST) analyses, capital projections and sensitivities on a range of capital metrics
- Contribute to the production and maintenance of the methodology for the calculation of economic capital (ORSA) contributing to the ERM framework, and validating the proper implementation of that methodology in capital models.
- Support the production and review of methodology used to determine regulatory capital requirements and ensuring this is implemented appropriately in models and results produced for regulatory reporting purposes. Provide advice and support to the reporting team to facilitate this and review the calculation of regulatory capital requirements produced for reporting purposes.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of SST results (both point in time and projections) that are required as part of an effective Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Contribute to the production of sensitivity testing to support various requirements including
- Support the development and maintenance of market risk models (not including credit).
- Liaise with the actuarial modelling team on capital modelling and SST requirements, and development needs.
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
• Strong technical skills including either financial reporting or Solvency II knowledge/experience
• Understanding of the UK regulatory environment.
• Delivery focused and able to take a pragmatic solution if required.
• Ability to apply actuarial techniques to business problems and to see wider implications.
• Proven ability to act independently as well as working as part of a wider team.
• Strong communication skills (able to articulate technical and complex issues clearly both verbally and in writing to senior audiences including non-actuaries).
• Demonstrated personal drive, energy, persistence and self-motivation and awareness of the needs of the wider business.
• Experience in applying technical expertise to analyse risk and capital information and convert this into management information that is both timely and helpful
Completion or near-completion of all Core Technical actuarial examinations What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development. Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences