Job Title: Senior Developer
Location: Potters Bar or Isle of Man
Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
The Senior Developer is responsible for the design and development of strategic software solutions, ensuring that requirements are met, best practices are followed and that all software developed is of a high quality and robust nature.
Working with Project Managers, Product Owners, Architects, Business Analysts and Testers the successful .Net Developer will share responsibility for project feasibility, requirements, design, development, quality and delivery. They will need to work positively and effectively within teams of mixed abilities and experience and be adaptable within changing environments.
What you'll do
• Develop software that meets requirements following best practices.
• Build reusable, well-documented, extensible code including unit tests.
• Ensure non-functional requirements (performance, auditing, security and on-going support) are considered during development.
• Identify risks.
• Participate in technical design and review
• Build components to integrate with existing applications
• Develop black box services/libraries (reusable pieces)
• Design and build Prototypes/Proofs of Concept
• Facilitate automated testing, integration and deployment (TDD, CI and CD)
• Support acceptance testing
• Participate in problem analysis and help resolve technical problems
• Provide regular information on progress to project management and team leaders to allow regulation and reviewing of tasks.
• Participate in mentoring, code reviews and pair programming
• Participate in Agile ceremonies: Sprint Planning, Regular Scrum, Show and Tell, Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives. Estimate task complexity.
• Contribute to the Scrum Artifacts by keeping the Product and Sprint backlog up to date.
• Complete or contribute to company standard documentation.
• Take part in continuous learning and professional development
Required Experience / Skills
• Commercial experience building bespoke applications using C#, ASP.Net, Web APIs/REST.
• Knowledge of Object Oriented (OO) Programing, SOLID Principles and Design Patterns
• T-SQL/SQL Server
• Good analysis, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Excellent time and self-management through effective planning & prioritisation of tasks
• .Net Core
• Azure Paas
• Experience with distributed systems (SOA, Microservices)
What you’ll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you’ll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You’ll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences