Tax Manager Capital Allowances
- Reading, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 22 Feb 18 2018-02-22
Job Title: Tax Manager Capital Allowances Location: Reading Salary Level: Competitive
Our specialist Capital Allowances team help our clients to optimise the tax relief available on capital expenditure incurred on property and fixed assets. They do this by combining an understanding of tax, accounting and the practical aspects of construction, property and cost management.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and ambitious individual to join EY's as a capital allowances specialist in the fixed asset tax services team. The fixed asset tax services team have been at the forefront of technology development within EY and have been the first tax team to launch a tool which uses Artificial Intelligence. The team help support and deliver pursuits and projects across all business sectors.
This role will provide an opportunity to be involved in a fast growth part of the Business Tax Services team, working across the UK. Our team is a successful and growing one thanks to a large and varied client base ranging from multinational listed businesses to start up, entrepreneurial venture backed covering various sectors including Automotive, Medical, Health, Transportation and Manufacturing.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work with both clients and our EY local offices, providing a great opportunity to build and expand your corporate network.
The capital allowances team has ambitious plans for the coming years and we are setting out a clear message that we're building a team for the future. We want the right people on board to achieve these growth objectives.
Many of our team work flexibly and are actively encouraged to find a working pattern that gives them the work life balance that works for them and our clients. EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
Key responsibilities of a capital allowances manager
Tax managers in our specialist team get involved in a wide range of activities as part of the senior team. From day one, under the mentorship of the leadership, you will have the opportunity to:
- To be involved in a wide range of fixed asset tax projects including discussing with clients their tax challenges and potential opportunities around fixed assets
- Utilise and help develop new technology to assist with capital allowances analyses
- Prepare capital allowances and wider fixed asset services proposals and high-level feasibility exercises to determine the potential level of allowances available.
- Review legal documentation (such as sale and purchase, leasehold and contribution agreements) and the tax legislation to clarify a company's entitlement to claim capital allowances.
- Review the relevant available documentation and supplement any deficiencies in details utilising our team's quantity surveying skills to arrive at defendable valuations.
- Investigate asset lives and business requirements to assist with decision making of allocating qualifying expenditure to the appropriate capital allowances pool.
- Review capital allowances reports prepared by the junior team in detailing the various categories of allowances identified.
- Research and respond to tax technical queries from the wider tax practice.
- Prepare technical updates to clients and the wider tax practice following changes to the capital allowances legislation.
- Draft and review technical responses to queries raised by HM Revenue & Customs into our clients' claims.
- Build and maintain productive working relationship with clients and provide high levels of client service.
Skills and experience required attributes for success
- Strong technical skills and keen to develop further.
- Sound working knowledge of MS Excel.
- Proven ability to read and interpret existing and new tax statute
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer upwards
- Client focused and commercially aware with the ability to build strong client relationships
- Good project management skills, capable of planning and prioritising work whilst meeting all deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically and willing to proactively suggest ideas.
- Outgoing with good relationship skills and the ability to deliver quality output.
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral.
- Relationship management skills with ability to manage client expectations.
- Ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team
What we look for
- Team player; ability to integrate with new teams quickly
- Outgoing with good relationship skills and the ability to deliver quality output
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.
Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
Who we are:
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.