Data Architect (Oracle, UNIX)
Location: Reigate, England, United Kingdom
The Database Architect will evaluate and improve existing database structures and play a crucial role in creating evolutionary database models for current and future Willis Towers Watson products.Summary
As a Database Architect you will play a key role in supporting Willis Towers Watson’s client facing products. These products include high concurrency highly transactional systems as well as big data systems with complex reporting and business intelligence requirements. The Database Architect will evaluate and improve existing database structures and play a crucial role in creating evolutionary database models for current and future Willis Towers Watson products.
The Database Architect will be required to analyze an array of product offerings and business requirements within the organization. You will work with the product development teams (e.g. engineering, product managers and analysts) to evaluate and identify solutions that meet the needs of the business, utilizing industry standard best practices and creative design techniques to overcome complex business and technical challenges (e.g. maximum performance with complex data sets). Some additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Senior Database Architect to define database architectures and communicate those designs to business and engineering partners
- Analyze existing data design and suggest improvements that promote performance, stability and interoperability
- Work with product management and business subject matter experts to translate business requirements into good database design
- Provide database architecture leadership and mentor projects consisting of WTW employees and outside contractors
- Maintain the governance model on the database architecture through training, design reviews, code reviews, and progress reviews
- Participate in the development of Database Architecture and Roadmaps in support of business strategies
- Establish and maintain database architecture standards and best practices
- Participle in the evaluation of emerging technology and tools
- Strong experience in databases, tools and methodologies
- Data Analysis, Data Modeling, Data Integration, Data Warehousing, Database Design
- Experience with database performance evaluation and remediation
- Develops strategies for data acquisitions, archive recovery and implementation
- Ability to design and develop Databases, Data Warehouses and Multidimensional Databases
- SQL development experience (PL/SQL, Views, Stored Procedures, Indexes….)
- Experience with browser based web applications delivered over the Internet that support high user concurrency
- Experience working with large relational databases
- Ability to develop database strategies for flexible high performance reporting and business intelligence
- Experience using data modeling tools & methodology
- Experience working within an Agile Scrum Software Development Life Cycle, across varying levels of Agile maturity
- Experience working with geographically distributed scrum teams
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, including the ability to research, design, and write new documentation, as well as to maintain and improve existing material
- Some functional knowledge in one or more of the following areas is advantageous: Pension, Payroll & Accounting Administrations systems
Willis Towers Watson is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 40,000 employees serving more than 140 countries. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas – the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more at willistowerswatson.com.
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer
Willis Towers Watson believes that effectively managing a diverse workforce is vital to our business strategy. We have an obligation to our organization, ourselves and our clients to hire and develop the best people we can find. We will continually review our policies and practices to ensure that all areas of the employment process (including recruiting, hiring, work assignments, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, company-sponsored development programs and overall workplace experience) are free from discriminatory practices. We are committed to equal employment opportunities at Willis Towers Watson.
Unsolicited Contact: Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Willis Towers Watson are considered property of Willis Towers Watson and are not subject to payment of agency fees. In order to be an authorized Recruitment Agency/Search Firm for Willis Towers Watson, any such agency must have an existing formal written agreement signed by an authorized Willis Towers Watson recruiter and an active working relationship with the organization. Resumes must be submitted according to our candidate submission process, which includes being actively engaged on the particular search. Likewise, for our authorized Recruitment Agencies/Search Firms, if the candidate submission process is not followed, no agency fees will be paid by Willis Towers Watson. Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer.