Business Operational Risk Manager
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities Strategy
People and Talent
- To be the source of reference within Retail in facilitating and promoting the understanding of Operational processes and controls.
- Support implementations of OR initiatives within Retail Banking.
- Proactively communicate with the relevant stakeholders (frontline) and BORM on operational risk issues. Escalate significant events to Business BORM/Business Head as appropriate.
- Coordinate and consolidate Operational risk and loss reporting of the unit for the reporting to the risk committees. Ensure data accuracy and completeness.
- Assist in implementing control measures and monitoring plans for adherence with operational risk framework. Ensure effectiveness of controls for monitoring and risk management.
- Be Responsible for the implementation and execution of the Control Sample Testing (CST) process, sampling and testing the population of controls to ensure compliance with agreed control standards as well as facilitating the monitoring/collection of any Key Risk Indicators (KRIs). With the process owner ensure sign off on all new and amendments to existing CST's and are tabled at BORF.
- Undertake and/or coordinate periodic business monitoring (self-assessment) activities within the business unit and escalate findings and or breaches to Business Unit Head and BORM, when they occur.
- Ensure risks and issues identified are resolved in an appropriate and timely manner by tracking exceptions for closures. If and when appropriate ensure the risk/issue is escalated to the BORM for further escalation to the Retail Fair Accountability committee.
- Ensure submissions such as the monthly RRR and Business Monitors are completed and submitted to Group with accuracy and within deadlines.
- Assist in preparing and holding the monthly Business Operational Risk Forum (BORF) along with the BORM and ensure risks are adequately documented and reported in the forum.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
• Ensure effective operational risk management within Retail Bank with an emphasis on comprehensive identification and effective mitigation of significant operational risk exposures.
• Align operational controls with Group or business standards.
• Ensure proper functioning of day-to-day controls, periodic monitoring activities and timely escalation and resolution of risk issues.
• Implement controls within business to meet all regulatory and internal requirements.
• Assist BORM & unit head in coordinating, driving & directing effective operational risk management across Retail Banking Jersey.
• Be the go-to person for the business, for all operational risk related incidents/queries/events that arise, and become a business 'Front to Back' subject matter expert
• Coordinate with stakeholders in the other Retail countries, and group, with other Retail Operational Risk Managers and BORM's to increase transparency and share OR experiences Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Jersey Retail Team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- BORM, second line Operational Risk team, Head of Retail Banking, Control & Supervision unit, Process Development Unit (PDU), Client Services and Relationship Managers.
- Group & Regional Operational Risk teams
- Country Legal & Compliance
- Business & support functions like Training Academy
- Group & local Technology
- Auditors and Regulators
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Jersey Retail.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
We are looking for someone who has the following skills and experience:
- Relevant experience in Banking - a control environment would be of preference.
- Good understanding of Retail banking clients, Wealth Management products & processes.
- Good understanding Operational Risk Management.
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills.
- Good communication skills and an ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to deal with complex issues with good problem solving & process thinking skills.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
- High attention to detail.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.