Credit Officer, Retail, Jersey
- Saint Helier, Channel Islands, United Kingdom Saint Helier Channel Islands GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 14 Jun 18 2018-06-14
Leading the way in International Banking. We support the people and companies driving investment, trade and wealth creation across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. And our heritage and values are expressed in our brand promise - here for good. See our Brand and Values
We are currently looking for......
· To uphold the integrity of the Group's risk/return decisions, and in particular for ensuring that credit risks arising from Retail clients are properly assessed, that risk/return decisions are made transparently on the basis of this proper assessment, and are controlled in accordance with the Group's standards and its Risk Appetite
· To ensure the Risk Management Framework and policies are followed and assist CCH with communicating and implementing the Function and (Jersey) Business and assist with administering related governance and reporting processes
To exercise credit risk approval authority in the Retail Clients business.
Roles and Responsibities:
· Ensure all credit proposals reviewed and approved are in accordance with approved business strategy plans, governance framework/documents, policy/procedures and risk appetite.
· Assist with the provision of cost and impairment forecasts and a balanced judgement on the external environment to help inform the development of business plans.
· Contribute to the development of performance management and remuneration processes, in order to encourage the development of an appropriate risk culture and discipline
· Be fully conversant with and communicate the strategic intent and collective agenda for the Function and the business, and understand how the jobholder contributes to these'
· Communicate Credit Policy/Process Standards within the business and seek ongoing compliance with same from all departments/stakeholders.
· Continue to develop personal capabilities and skills to meet ongoing business needs and plans.
· Provide oversight of and input into processes that support credit.
· Within the role's operating processes, ensure effective management of the operational risks and compliance with applicable internal policies and external laws and regulations
· Continuously seek to improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function's risk management processes.
People and Talent
· Ensure you have agreed with your line manager job descriptions and objectives and regularly review and agree priorities
· Agree with your manager any ongoing training and development requirements to ensure you are suitably skilled and qualified for this role
· Agree and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
· Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Function's people.
· Lead through example and support your team in promoting an appropriate culture and values within the Function and across the wider organisation, working in collaboration with risk and control partners as well as the Business.
· Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging business and control function heads to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite.
· Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits.
· Escalate appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the role holder's attention with a view to contributing towards an appropriate response to such events/issues.
· Ensure that material risk exposures, material risk events and related issues are reported to CCH and to responsible governance committees
· Ensure appropriate judgement is applied in the discharge of risk authorities assigned to the jobholder, taking account of concentration risk across sectors, geographies and markets where applicable.
· Assist the CCH in effectively communicate risk control parameters across the Business, including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain the business's risk profile in line with the Group's risk appetite
· Ensure business and product heads understand and accept their credit risk management responsibilities
· Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the Function.
Regulatory & Business conduct
· Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
· Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
· Help achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
· Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
· Participation in AML/CDD, Sanctions and Anti Bribery and Corruption awareness training (both e-learning and "classroom" based) to develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the key components in preventing money laundering, terrorist financing and sanction breaches
· Maintain an ongoing awareness and consideration of AML "Red Flags" of suspicious activity in order to determine when it is appropriate to raise a suspicious activity report with the Money Laundering Reporting Officer.
· Ensure all decisions taken within delegated authority are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations
· Market Knowledge: Suitable experience at a reasonably high level in the banking industry, including experience in a similar role.
· Business Strategy and Model: Strong business acumen. Reasonable experience with investment products and leverage strategies (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
· Risk Management and Control: Experience of managing risk in a geographically dispersed client portfolio and varied product base.
· Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
· Non-technical Skills: Relationship management experience - with external stakeholders, including regulators.
· Relevant academic/professional qualifications such as Associate of the Institute of Financial Services (Aifs), HNC in Business Studies, International Diploma in Compliance, MBA
All role specific mandatory and developmental Bank training, and mandatory regulatory/compliance Bank training.
If you're a bright mind with big ambitions, we'll actively encourage you to fulfil your potential. Thanks to our rich and varied international footprint, we can offer exciting opportunities working across different countries and cultures. Apply Now and take the next step in fulfilling your potential.