This is an opportunity for a part-qualified or junior accounting candidate to join the largest department, within the largest fund administrator in Guernsey, thereby accessing a career path in the Private Equity space. The role will require the successful candidate to prepare, and assist in the preparation and initial review of the financial statements of entities administered by the Private Equity department in a timely, efficient and accurate manner adhering to the highest standards.
• Account preparation to include: Checking & maintaining ledger integrity, completion of appropriate checklists, closing down of accounting periods, preparing accounts for manager review/clearing points, sending accounts for inclusion in board packs, provision of information for US and UK tax returns; preparing standard account files and liaising with auditors as required
• Client Reporting: Critical background knowledge of entities in progress; Issuing tax forms to investors prepared by client tax advisers; Able to prepare and issue ad-hoc reports to clients
• Bookkeeping / Cash Management: ability to understand more complex transactions; understand cash management procedures for specific entities; familiar with checking bank account reconciliations and cash reports on a monthly basis
• Company Secretarial duties including: understanding of procedures; prepare and review of company minutes and agendas
• Proforma Accounts: design pro forma accounts, ensuring they are in accordance with appropriate regulations/standards and agreed with clients/auditors; Maintain capital accounts for limited partnerships
• Communication: Liaising with other departments such as fund administration; maintenance of client relationships; effective communication with client, investors and other associated parties (based worldwide); dealing with investor queries in an efficient and timely manner
• Prepare and circulate accounts and tax timetables, advising on potential accounting issues & best practises
• Preparation and review of management fee calculations
• Calls/Distributions: Develop understanding of the process; calculate the call/distribution amounts for recommendation by client; liaise with client and investors regarding receipt/payment of monies; liaise with financial institutions receiving or making payment of funds, and review and maintain records
• Understand the process of the Transfer of Shares or Limited Partnership Interests, and be familiar with anti-money laundering regulations and how to maintain records
• The ideal candidate will be an Accounting Technician or First Stage/Part- Qualified ACA/ACCA or equivalent. Those with at least 1 year of relevant experience seeking to undertake an accounting qualification will also be considered
• Knowledge of regulatory issues, book-keeping and accounts preparation is required
• Familiar with Guernsey Company Law: has an understanding of the main Guernsey legislation as it effects entities under administration i.e. Guernsey Company Law, POI and FNCC legislation
• Technical accounting knowledge (UK GAAP and IFRS) or experience in Funds/Private Equity is preferred (not essential)
• Intermediate Excel skills with knowledge of Macros would be beneficial (not essential)
• Good time management, ability to self-organise and prioritise workload is required
• Effective Communication skills (Verbal & Written) and fluency in the English language is required
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.