IFRS 17 accountant
At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business
and we're looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles. What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
How do we support our employees:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support. The Role:
Finance Reporting is accountable for delivering on time and accurate financial results and disclosures across all reporting metrics, while providing real business insights, quality assurance and technical advice. The IFRS 17 team within Finance Reporting are responsible for the detailed understanding and technical accuracy of the in-development IFRS 17 results, working closely with the wider IFRS 17 and Finance Ambition project teams, and intergrating IFRS reporting into the overall financial reporting.
As an Accountant in our Finance Reporting team, you will provide technical input and contribute to the delivery of timely and accurate input to the company's financial reporting, including the adoption and development of change to support the transition to IFRS17 reporting. The role will be responsible for supporting the Head of IFRS 17 and other senior leaders in the detailed understanding of the drivers of the IFRS 17 results and the wider implications for the business, covering both assets and liabilities. This role requires technical experience in, and understanding of, the business, financial reporting and valuations. The team, and therefore the role will work closely with a number of other teams across Finance Reporting and the business. We are currently recruiting 4 roles which will begin working remotely and will then be based between working from home and one of our offices - Edinburgh/Stirling/London. Key Work Level Accountabilities: Experienced Colleague:
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Accountable for providing a quality service or product to customers and stakeholders, using skills/experience built through significant practical experience or training
- For team leaders, accountable for ensuring the team the role supports is delivering a quality service or product
- Works within established frameworks and procedures, with the freedom to interpret them to solve a range of problems
- Delivers outputs that are clearly defined, using discretion over how to achieve them
- Makes suggestions for improvements to the work of the team, based on previous experience and knowledge of similar situations
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Work as a team of Finance professionals, including technical experts, in the delivery of financial reporting and associated financial information with supporting analysis and commentary in line with the working day timetable.
- Ensure the delivery of high quality results, meeting customer needs, within a robust control framework including clear audit trail
- Producing and being accountable for the technical accuracy of financial information to support production of IFRS results, statutory accounts, Solvency II results and reporting templates
- Assisting with the planning and coordination of our financial reporting across a number of teams, together with review of results. The team is the key link between Group Finance and finance reporting teams across the UK business.
- Carrying out processes and controls to ensure the accurate production of information and document work performed to ensure appropriate audit trials are maintained.
- To be an expert in the modelling and financial reporting of the business; combining detailed knowledge of the business, modelling and valuations - ensuring the delivery of technically accurate, robust and well explained inputs to the regular reporting and wider business management
- To provide technical expertise to design technical solutions as part of change projects within Finance
- To work collaboratively with colleagues and take personal accountability to maintain and enhance controls you are responsible for to support improvement of the overall control environment, customers outcomes and a reduction in M&G's operational risk.
- A qualified accountant (ACCA/ ACA / CIMA)
- Able to produce high quality technical work whilst operating within a well-controlled environment
- A technical knowledge of the business and the key data in the balance sheets and P&L, with detailed understanding of asset and liability risks and how they impact key metrics;
- Detailed technical level knowledge of performing financial reporting and effective tools for developing and enhancing the financial reporting processes
- Experience of actively seeking out opportunities to learn about new developments and applying them to current work processes, and of considering the impact of own team's work and suggesting improvements to process and deliverables
- Some experience of communicating findings and results of analyses in the appropriate format to ensure understanding, determining the most appropriate message and delivery method
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with experience of disseminating quality information to internal and external stakeholders
- Fully proficient in word and excel
- Flexible and adaptable, and a good team player
Work Level: Experienced Colleague
Recruiter Name: Emma Pryde
Closing Date: 27th July 2021
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things