At Royal London we want to attract the best software developer talent to help us achieve our vision of becoming the most trusted and recommend financial company in the UK.
We are the largest mutual life, pensions and Investment Company in the UK, with Group funds under management of £118.9 billion and latest Profit Share pay out to members of £142 million. Group businesses provide around 9million policies and employ 3,976 people (figures as of 05 Feb 2019).
We have an exciting permanent opportunity for a Technical Lead Developer to join the division of Group Technology and Change (GTC) in our Wilmslow office. We will be relocating to state of the art purpose built offices in neighbouring Alderley Edge in Summer 2020.
The purpose of this role is to provide deep technical expertise to help teams design, develop, test and implement efficient solutions that meet business and customer requirements. The role doesn’t involve direct management of people, but it does involve working with many stakeholders to ensure a smooth delivery journey. Interfacing with senior developers and key stakeholders including designers, architects , infrastructure teams and project managers.
What will you be doing
- Drives the delivery of complex technical solutions within own area of technical expertise
- Provides technical advice and guidance to other software developers
- Provides quality assurance of work relating to own area of technical expertise
- Carries out impact assessment of complex changes to existing applications
- Ensures relevant design is agreed and documented in advance of development starting
- Will deliver code that meets Group standards, guidelines and quality gates for given technology
- Will ensure technical solutions are safely implemented to production environment(s) without impact to internal or external customers
- Encourages close collaboration with other disciplines within the team, particularly infrastructure teams
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrable experience developing .NET software application
- Excellent understanding of software lifecycle
- Core Technologies : C#, ASP.NET MVC, SQL Server
- Ability to build strong relationships with the team and internal stakeholders
- Ability to discuss technical coding patterns and issues with other developers to find the optimal solution within an agreed technical framework
- Ability to make decisions based on short, medium and long term thinking
- Awareness of Agile development practices
- Source Control (ideally Team Foundation Server)
- Continuous Integration
- Microsoft Dynamics
- CI / CD
Skills that will help you in the role
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Significant exposure to fixing complex software development problems in a team environment.
What we offer
- A great overall package
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits
- such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have ranked as among the best places to work and this year we entered the top 10
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.