We are looking for an Assistant Accountant to join our Finance team. Based in Wolverhampton, the successful candidate will work with the Head of Finance to contribute towards a high-performing, professional finance function in an exciting environment. They will have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of finance and accounting roles in a new type of company which seeks to blend the best of the asset management industry and local government.
- Able to communicate technical Finance information in a way which is understandable and relevant.
- Good reasoning and problem-solving skills, able to develop pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- Able to use own initiative within delegated authority.
- Active participant in continuous personal and professional development, who seeks to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of matters relevant to their area of work.
- Able to build effective relationships with peers in the company.
- Highly organised and able to work to deadlines and manage competing priorities under significant time pressures.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of working in a Finance, Pensions or Investments role.
- Strong ethics and integrity, and an analytical thinker.
- Able to act as an ambassador for the Finance team within the company.
- Able to understand the overarching aims and objectives of the company, and how the work of the Finance team contributes to these.
- Innovative and actively challenges existing ways of working, driving improvements within the Finance team.
- A good team-player who is able to work collaboratively and support other members of the Finance team.
- Qualified or part qualified CCAB/CIMA Accountant; or
- AAT-qualified; or
- A relevant qualification at degree level or above.
- As a member of the Finance team, the Assistant Accountant (Alternative Assets) will support the Head of Finance and Deputy Head of Finance to ensure that the company’s financial operations are delivered effectively and efficiently, including financial reporting for alternative assets, arranging payments to and distributions from funds and daily banking activities, in addition to supporting management accounting, budgeting, cost-sharing reporting to partner funds, corporate financial reporting, regulatory reporting, the company’s accounting system, wider treasury management, payments and invoicing.
- Range of financial responsibilities as set out in the authorised signatory list and financial policies and procedures as well as other relevant policies.
- Health and Safety
- Performance management and reporting
Delegated Authority Levels:
- As set out in authorised signatory list.
- Deputy Head of Finance or Head of Finance
- Executive Directors, Board, Non-Executive Directors, Heads of Service, Portfolio Managers and other LGPSC staff
- Role Responsibilities
- To contribute to the preparation and monitoring of financial statements for the Company’s alternative asset investment products.
- To liaise effectively with investors and members of the Investment team over the raising and settling of amounts due to or from partnerships.
- To carry out daily banking activities including liaising with the Company’s bank where required.
- To prepare working papers for review by external and internal auditors.
- To collate information on investment management costs for partnerships, liaising with external investment managers as required, and to analyse and present this information internally.
- To use the company’s computerised accounting system, including the entering of transactions and the operation of effective controls and reconciliations where required.
- To use the company’s computer system for the administration of alternative asset investments.
- To support the Head of Finance and Deputy Head of Finance in taking actions that contribute to the effective management of risks.
- To provide advice to the Head of Finance and Deputy Head of Finance on financial matters relevant to the post-holder’s area of work.
- To build effective working relationships across the company, and with partner funds and key suppliers.
- To take part in projects and working groups, including leading on some internal projects.
- To make a significant contribution to the work of the Finance team.
- To actively participate in continuous personal and professional development, and to assist in the development and/or delivery of financial training.
- To act as an ambassador for the Finance team within the company.
- To actively identify opportunities for continuous improvement and implement them swiftly and effectively.
- To supervise the work of junior team members where relevant.
- To deputise for the Head of Finance or Deputy Head of Finance where appropriate.
To support for and where required cover the work of other Assistant Accountants, including:
- To contribute to the preparation and monitoring of the operating budget and cash flow forecasts.
- To prepare information in support of the calculation of charges to partner funds and the reporting of these.
- To assist in the preparation of LGPS Central’s annual report and accounts.
- To assist in the preparation of information for periodic returns required by the regulator.
- To process payments to suppliers and liaise with them as necessary.
- To raise invoices to customers for charges and monitor collection against those, liaising with customers as necessary.
- To perform day-to-day treasury management activities and monitor the bank account, including the performance of regular bank reconciliations.
Closing date: 30th September 2019