Paralegal – Legal and Corporate Secretarial
- From £25,000
- Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- LGPS Central Ltd
- 15 Feb 18 2018-02-15
LGPS Central Limited has been established to manage the investment assets of nine Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) funds across the Midlands. It will be responsible for managing around £40bn of assets on behalf of 900,000 LGPS members and 2,500 employers.
~~The Company is owned by the participating pension schemes, making them both our shareholders and our clients, creating an exciting and unusual opportunity in client servicing and shareholder relationship management and reporting. And as one of the eight new LGPS asset pools, we also form part of a significant new sector in the pensions industry which attracts keen interest from Government, and scrutiny from a wide group of sector and industry stakeholders.
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious paralegal to join the Legal Team in the position of a paralegal. Based in the Midlands (Wolverhampton or Matlock), the successful candidate will work with the General Counsel and with key stakeholders within LGPS, to build a professional and responsive legal team.
As a paralegal, you can expect to have responsibility for ensuring that the Company has the capability to focus on all aspects of legal asset management matters, company matters and managing legal risk.
Matters you will assist on are likely to include:
• Adaptability and flexibility of working practices required to work on a one-to-one or team basis, to long or short deadlines or on own initiative or by direction.
• Providing paralegal duties under supervision or independently as well as secretarial and administrative support.
• Reviewing legal/commercial documents independently and with supervision in accordance with internal policies.
• General office and legal governance administration.
• Broad commercial role including contracts such as NDAs, supplier agreements etc
• The ability to research, draft and present legal documentation upon request.
• Ability to use various legal resources i.e. Lexis Nexis, Butterworth s, legal library.
• Initiation, investigation and remedial solution of any legal/administrative issues/queries that may arise during the course of duties.
• Advanced interpersonal skills.
• Experience of document production procedures and formalities, this includes the formatting, creation and maintenance of lengthy documents either in Word, Excel or PowerPoint; liaising with other members of staff on problematic areas of documents;
• Managing a full complex diary and email management.
• Responsible for upload of all legal documentation;
• Preparing documentation for attendance at Committee’s and meetings.
• Maintaining the filing system, both electronic and hardcopy.
• Preparation and organisation of all required materials for internal and external meetings.
• Dealing with telephone requests and queries, responding directly or directing callers to the appropriate team member. Screening and sorting of mail into order of priority for lawyers.
• Acting as point of contact during absence of General Counsel.
• Administrative tasks as assigned
• Formatting and proof reading the; updating/maintaining spreadsheets and databases; administration for training courses (internal & external); web-based work.
• Minute taking and use of initiative.
• Reviewing ISDA’s GMRA, SLA and client agreements.
• Maintain a powerful reputation through clear and consistent two-way communication
• Ensure legal advice is accurate, consistent, timely and meets client requirements.
• Escalate and resolve quickly any areas of concern raised by internal clients.
• Liaise across internal teams to ensure internal client needs are fulfilled quickly and effectively.
• Excel under pressure, as well as meet short deadlines.
Paralegals are expected to use a high degree of self-management and initiative and have a responsive and proactive approach to the work. Candidates should ideally have:
• A law degree, GDL, LPC and/or BVC qualification;
• Current/recent asset management or financial services experience;
• Proven experience of handling his/her own caseload;
• Good drafting skills;
• Good communication skills;
• Good administration skills; and
• Good IT skills.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate at interview that they are:
• Well organised;
• Have good attention to detail;
• Are proactive; and
• Are self-motivated.
~~If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV with a covering letter, demonstrating why you have the skills to perform this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 16th February 2018
Interviews scheduled to take place: w/c 26th February 2018