FPA’s Trading Department is looking for a Trading Desk Analyst to be part of a 4-person team reporting to the Head of Trading. The Analyst position is responsible for building live orders daily in Charles River OMS at the direction of portfolio managers or traders in multiple security types including global equities, fixed income, foreign exchange and derivatives in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. The Analyst will work on various data analysis projects utilizing their knowledge of financial products using Excel, SQL, and Bloomberg, and must have the ability to quickly learn additional software applications.
We believe that the success of our firm is thanks to its people and their commitment to excellence. We lead with integrity, foster an ownership mindset, embrace teamwork and seek to always make choices that maintain our most important legacy – our reputation. As of March 31, 2022, FPA manages approximately $28 billion across multiple strategies. Independently owned, FPA has 75 employees, with 23 investment professionals.
Please note: The current preferred work location is Los Angeles, CA as a hybrid office/work from home-based position. However, full remote work, in another geographic location may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Build orders for Equity, Fixed Income, Derivatives and F/X in Charles River Order Management System, including allocations across multiple accounts.
- Create and maintain all trading records including transaction cost analysis (TCA), commission and CSA/Soft Dollar data, and creating mutual fund board reporting
- Quickly and accurately generate financial spreadsheets in Excel importing data from Bloomberg and other internal systems to analyze pair trades, baskets, derivatives and other trades
- Assist middle office/trade operations and communicate with outside counterparties on general trade support
- Provide portfolio managers with up-to-date, relevant market data
- Work collaboratively to support departmental and firm-wide projects and initiatives
- Work with the Senior Desk Analyst to understand and serve as back up on additional trading desk responsibilities
- Upload portfolio allocations to external vendors for UMA product
- Monitor cash and dispersion across accounts
- Build portfolio basket trades based on dispersion and subscription/redemption activity
- Maintain multiple, excel based, portfolio monitoring sheets
- Responsible for downloading and/or manually gathering data for security and portfolio analysis
- Responsible for running daily/monthly/quarterly/ad hoc market data and trade reports for portfolio managers and analysts, business development and compliance
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable substantive related experience required.
- 2-5 years related investment industry experience in any background combination of trade desk, trade operations, or financial analysis.
- Hands on knowledge and understanding of security types, financial markets and the investment management industry.
- Strong knowledge and hands on experience using Bloomberg, Order Management Systems (Charles River preferred), Structured Query Language (SQL), and Microsoft Excel (including v-lookups, pivot tables, spreadsheet modeling).
- Demonstrated expertise to simplify and automate manual processes.
- Strong initiative and work ethic, and an ability to work both within a team and on a self-directed basis in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills and diligent attention to detail.
- Must have ability to think on feet, adapt quickly to changing market environments and perform under tight time constraints.
- Knowledge of VBA, Virtu TCA, CorpAxe and Liquidnet CSA platform is a plus.
FPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the fact or perception of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship, religious creed or belief, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, marital/domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state or local law.