TITLE: Business Development Manager, Private Banks & Advisory
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia’s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia’s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: This position will report to our Co-Lead of US Intermediary Distribution
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: We are seeking an individual to join the Business Development team who will concentrate on proactively establishing business relationships with Private Banks, Bank Trust, and High Net Worth/ Private Wealth Institutional style advisors. Further, the individual will manage several large, complex relationships, on both a headquarters and local team basis. The individual will also work closely with Matthews’ Marketing and Investment Teams in their Private Wealth & Advisory sales/relationship management efforts. This position will be based Matthews’ headquarters in San Francisco, and will require national travel. In addition to face-to-face meetings with Private Wealth & Advisory advisors in prominent wealth arenas, travel may include industry conferences and Matthews-hosted events. The ideal candidate should have a high degree of integrity and professionalism, and experience in working with Private Wealth & Advisory, Private Bank/Bank Trust High Net Worth advisors in a consultative sales role within an asset management organization.
Successful candidates will have demonstrable:
• Achievements in a consultative sales/relationship management role
• Demonstrated skill in retaining/growing, large complex relationships
• Proven ability to capture, increase and retain AUM
• Capacity to build positive and effective internal and external relationships
• Relationships with Private Wealth & Advisory organizations (private banks, bank trust departments, high net worth/institutional advisors etc.)
• Successful track record in working with/mentoring a junior-partner/internal
• Experience in global/international investment strategies
• A demonstrated long-term conviction for Asia
• An understanding of Asian cultures, and intellectual curiosity about the region
• High level of integrity, honesty, diligence and loyalty
• An obvious drive/ambition for professional success
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience developing and implementing sales/marketing business plans
• Minimum 7 years financial services sales experience
• Bachelors degree, Masters degree CIMA and/or CFA preferred
• Ability to grow, develop and maintain working relationships with seasoned Private Wealth & Advisory teams, Private Banks/Bank Trust and High Net Worth/Private Wealth Managers
• Ability to discuss the importance of Asian investing, and position Matthews strategies in a concise and compelling way
• Administering sales plans, prospecting profiles, call reports, and marketing initiatives on a timely basis
• Excellent (written and verbal) communication and presentation skills
• Strong references
• Series 7 63, and 65 Licenses, Series 24 preferred
• Must be a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.